Rainy Day

Warning: mentioned trafficking/CSA, arson, mentioned death

***

The doorbell rang, and Setsuka opened it up to find Kakeru. "Oh, hey! I guess you're here to pick Nik up for his court case?" she asked with a sad smile. "I hope you get Nik the justice he deserves."

"Don't worry, you can leave everything to me," Kakeru reassured. He looked past Setsuka and called up, "Nikei! It's time to go!"

"Coming!" the journalist yelled back as he ran down the stairs with a briefcase of papers. He briefly kissed Setsuka goodbye before he went outside with the lawyer and got in his car. The billiards player waved at them as they drove off.

She shut the door and went to the couch, which Mikado was lying across. Once he noticed her, he raised his torso so she could sit at the end, then laid back down so that his head could rest on her lap. "Is he gone?"

"Yep, just left with Kakeru," Setsuka answered, running her fingers through Mikado's hair and feeling him relax at her touch. "How big do you think this case will be?"

"Not as big as Ms. Enoshima's, not to mention that Nikei requested that the court case be kept private," the wizard replied. "He doesn't like any press on him specifically, and he's not keen on repeating his trauma much."

"...It's stupid to say, but the only things that I know did happen are cases of enjo-kosai, being sold to some clan, and then ending up in an orphanage with you, which burned down," she nervously chuckled, looking away.

Mikado fell silent, then spoke, "I told you before that until it becomes necessary for you to know his past, my lips are sealed. But I think it's time that you know now, I don't think you'd like it if you pressed his buttons while vulnerable."

Setsuka kept playing with his hair as she nodded. "I'm ready."

"Those two parents, they were pretty important in the company they owned, and I think they only had Nikei so that they could make him the heir to their company. But to get some extra cash, they made him go on compensated dates, and then eventually sold him off to that Kanzaki Clan - that is, human traffickers," the wizard explained. "But Master Utsuro found him, and Nikei got ahold of a gun and shot the person he was with. He ran onto the streets and got picked up by CPS, who put him into the orphanage with me. After that, it caught on fire, and I never heard about him again until we met at the academy."

"That's just...woah. I never thought that Nik went through that kind of suffering, that's horrible!" Setsuka exclaimed. "God, I really hope he wins his court case now, I need to set up something for him when he gets home-"

"Well, since he doesn't know that I told you this, I think small actions like food and some touch in non-inappropriate places would help him a lot better...and keep my ass from being kicked," Mikado chuckled. "But at least you know what not to bring up much around him now. Let's keep it that way."

"Right. I should still changed the bedsheets and find a fluffier blanket for the bed. He'll need to be cuddled when he gets home," Setsuka decided, moving Mikado's head to leave the couch and set things up.

A few hours later, Nikei came home looking exhausted, having won his court case and his parents sentenced to ten years in jail. Setsuka dragged him up the stairs and into bed, and Mikado joined them since Nikei's appetite was gone after the trial. The journalist's sleeping face looked like his childhood full of pain was given a dose of morphine, and his rest was uninterrupted until dinner.

***

As he took another sip of his black coffee, Mikado looked out the window at the dark outside, where droplets hit the window hard and showed no signs of subsiding. "It's already summer, yet it's pouring very hard," the wizard remarked. "It might help with meditation, but I doubt it'll be good for your job."