14. Coffee in T-Minus Ten Seconds

"Good morning," you yawn, walking into the kitchen. You stretch, before looking around. "What's for breakfast."

"I made french toast," Steve says.

"Thank you chef," you nod.

"Morning Y/n," Tony says not looking away from whatever he's doing.

You walk over to him and look over his shoulder. "Whatcha doin'?" you ask.

At that Pietro looks up, and looks around a bit before saying, "Hey, where's Perry?"

"The platypus?" Wanda asks.

"Not just any platypus! It's Perry the Platypus!" he responds doing a perfect impression of Doofenshmirtz.

Tony ignores the twins. "I'm planning on modifying the coffee machine so it'll make coffee faster. And by faster I mean, the coffee will be brewed in less than a minute," he answers, still scribbling down notes on a napkin.

"Stark, you're doing God's work," Nat says drinking from her own cup of coffee.

You sit down at your spot at the table and start eating the french toast Steve had set out a few minutes earlier. "Does it not brew fast enough already?"

"Six minutes is six minutes too long. I want instant coffee and not the Nescafé kind," Tony responds, before looking up. "Brucie-bear do we have any hydrogen atoms?"

"What in the world would you need that for?" Bruce asks, his face covered in fear.

Tony smiles. "The coffee maker."

"No, Tony, we don't have hydrogen atoms," Bruce sighs.

"Fine, anyways I don't need it. I have a model that doesn't need it that should brew the coffee in 10 seconds," Tony scoffs.

"Tony no-" Steve says.

"Tony yes."

And he did. Tony finished the prototype that day and before dinner he decided to test it.

Walking into the kitchen to get yours and Loki's food before everyone else arrives, you see Tony putting coffee grounds in the coffee maker. "Did you make it already?"

"Yes, this is just the prototype though. Hopefully I'll make the finished one tomorrow."

Tony hits the start button right as you walk to the pan of lasagna. It starts brewing the coffee and more than half of the pot fills in just a couple seconds.

"Yes! It works!" Tony exclaims, starting to jump up and down. "I did it! I'm a genius! My brain is so smart!"

"That's what Peter would call being big brai-" you start right as a loud screeching noise fills the room and then the coffee machine sparks before catching on fire.

Rhodey runs into the kitchen, a pan in one hand and a fire extinguisher in the other. He sets the pan down in the counter before quickly starting to spray the coffee maker with the fire extinguisher.

"NOT THE LASAGNA!" you cry, trying to move the pan out of the way but it's too late.

"Tony!" Rhodey yells once the fire is stopped.

"I found a hydrogen atom. Maybe I shouldn't have used it," Tony says sheepishly.

Rhodey looks over at Tony, just looking done with everything. "I'm ending this experiment right here. You don't get to finish this," he says pointing at the now foam covered coffee maker.

"Is it because the 10-Second-Coffee-Maker is too powerful?"

"No Tony, it's because you will burn down the tower."

"And you'll ruin more lasagna," you glare. "I was fine with this until Steve's magical lasagna was a casualty."

The rest of the team walks in to see the kitchen covered in foam and you holding the pan of lasagna—that's now also covered in foam—and glaring at Tony.

"What happened?!" Sam asks.

"Tony caught his prototype coffee maker on fire," Rhodey says.

"So no 10 second coffee?" Nat asks, frowning a little.

"Sadly, nope. No ten second coffee," Tony answers.

"Is that my lasagna?" Steve asks.

"Sadly, yes. It's your lasagna," you say.

-

a/n: can one of y'all mail me a jar of trader joe's tomatillo salsa? /s