1

Chapter 1: Don't You Know Who I Am

Mystic Falls, Virginia, it wasn't anything compared to Louisiana but Nala was doing her best not to judge—that's a lie, she was judging hardcore. There was no music, no smell of seasoned food, nothing but birds chirping and the sound of lawnmowers cutting grass.

"Are you lost?" A blonde girl with cat-like features approached her, blue eyes bright and very friendly. "I'm Caroline Forbes," A hand extended to shake and Nala followed out of courtesy.

"I'm Nala, nice to meet you." Behind her, two doors down was the brunettes new home. "Seems like I'm your new neighbor."

Looking back at the sold home, Caroline offered a smile. "Do you need any help moving in? I've lived here in Mystic Falls my whole life, I know it like the back of my hand. I could be your tour guide!"

"I couldn't take up your time—"

"—I have a mini map in my room, I'll go grab it!"

Nala chuckled under her breath, she had a feeling this girl was very used to getting her way, but it didn't bother her. Her home was exactly twenty-two steps away from Caroline's, the bright red front door opening with a simple turn left of her key. Inside was pretty, dark floors, light walls, there were only two rooms and a bathroom.

"Can I come in? I found that map I was telling you about, I color coded some routes for you, just to The Grill and the shopping outlets."

"Come in," Brown eyes fixated on the map, it was very detailed. "Wow, you're a bit of a control freak, huh?"

Caroline laughed, wandering around the new home in curiosity. "Can you really tell?"

"A little," Setting the map down in the kitchen, Nala headed to the uhaul, bringing in boxes and soon Caroline followed suit. "Are you always this nice to newcomers?"

"I am Miss Mystic Falls and head of nearly every committee we have here, it's sort of my job to know everyone in town." Setting down a box and rushing back to help with the couch, she sighed deeply, regretting not wearing flats. "So, where are you from?"

Flicking back a piece of her dark curly hair, Nala wiped some sweat from her brow. "Louisiana, I lived there my whole life until my parents passed."

"I'm really sorry to hear that," Caroline stepped back, her brows tugging together in worry. "I shouldn't have asked."

"No, really it's okay." Really it was, the tragic way Marie Laveau II passed would be a fate that one day Nala would too face. Ever since her grandmother died drowning, all Laveau's died drowning. It was never of a matter of if and always a matter of when.

         The whole truck was unpacked within an hour, the multitude of boxes however no where near being finished. "Thanks for all your help but I'm sure all of this unpacking is going to take some time. Maybe leave your number and I can call you for that tour after I've settled in?"

Feeling worried that she maybe crossed a line, Caroline swiftly scribbled her number on the back of her self drawn map and gently left without another word.

Twenty minutes into her solitude, Nala had only unpacked her bedroom, clothes hanging, a rug in the middle, and a bed by the window. "Let's speed this up a little," Briefly closing her eyes and conjuring up a simple spell, suddenly objects around her started floating, brooms sweeping dust off the floor and a nail and hammer hanging up shelves and pictures.

Rugs unfolded themselves in the hallway, a toothbrush flashed past her ear and into its spot in the bathroom. "Slow down!" Nala reprimanded the flying objects, a shampoo bottle missing her face by a few inches.

Wandering over to the end of the hall, Nala peered up at the dangling rope and pulled at it, revealing a folding staircase into the attic. Carefully going upstairs, some floating candles and a book followed her up, lights flickering to life on their own accord.

It was dusty but spacious, it would serve as a perfect spell room. Nothing but a few coats of paint and a few quick repairs to the floorboards and it'd be as good as new. "Hey, I know I said I'd call but my mom made these cupcakes a bit ago and insisted I—whoa."

Upon hearing the familiar sound of Caroline's airy voice, Nala cursed under her breath, scrambling to get back down the stairs before she gave this girl a heart attack. "I really wish you would've just knocked."

Instead of fear though, Caroline stood in awe, blue eyes wide as she watched the floating objects arrange themselves. "You're a witch."

"Something along those lines." Nodding in the females direction, Nala caught the broom she stopped from moving on it's own. "Why do you seem so surprised? You're a vampire."

Caroline's guard stood up on edge, suddenly worried that this new girl was dangerous, maybe she was associated with Klaus. "Why are you here? Did Klaus send you?"

"Listen," Sauntering past Caroline, grabbing the plate of cupcakes from her hand and bringing them to the kitchen, her right leg kicking back to shut the front door. "I don't know a Klaus and I don't care to. I'm just here to settle down, enjoy some peace and quiet."

"Then you picked the wrong town," Speeding forward, it was Nala's turn to be surprised. In her defense, one hand shot forward, freezing the vampire in her place.

Sighing, Nala pushed her hair from her face, evaluating the situation. "I really was hoping to avoid this, I was supposed to be the only magical being in town." Lifting her spell, Caroline fell to her knees, weakened by the strong magic.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Nala Laveau."

"Laveau? Like—"

"Yes," she finished. "Like Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans. She happens to be my grandmother."

Caroline groaned. "Shit."