25

Chapter 25: Bonnie and Clyde

Damon knew that offering to be caretaker to the gorgeous voodoo witch would backfire. The moment she'd woken up from her restless slumber, her body wracked with turmoil, brows furrowed and little whimpers cutting through the silence of the night. He'd shaken her awake a few times, her eyes drifting back to sleep, her exhaustion working against her mental anguish—fueling dark dreams that sent her body into a sweat.

She'd woken up the following day as if he hadn't witnessed the extent of her grief for the harsh consequences of her actions. He couldn't help but wonder how much power it was that she truly had—enough to have to repay such a deity every year for the rest of her life.

An unbreakable contract had to mean unbreakable power.

The sun rose and set quicker than Damon anticipated, watching Nala cautiously as she performed mindless arrands, requesting a little space when she disappeared up into the attic to 'clear her space' and snap back a little faster—she'd be doing this for a long time and eventually she'd have to get used to it.

Damon watched with baited breath, quipping back to her jokes and giving his opinion on her outfit for the night. She'd invited Caroline and Bonnie out for drinks and dancing—she was avoiding and possibly starting a habit. "I like the red one best, and those black heels with the little skulls on the straps."

"Hmm, fitting." Nala twirled around in her strapless yellow dress a moment longer before shimmying it off and pulled the red one on. She couldn't lie, she looked amazing. The wine red complimented her caramel skin, accentuated the warm undertones in her curly hair and worked with her killer legs. Even though the skull shoes felt a little grim, she found herself beginning to embrace it. "You've got a bit of an eye, don't you Mr. Salvatore?"

Damon smirked, peeking up at her from over the pages of some stupid little diary she'd written when she was a pre-teen. It barely made any sense and had childish drawings of smiling suns and eyeball flowers. "I've been around for a while, pretty girl. I know what I like."

Nala looked at the handsome vampire from the side of her eye, a little smile ghosting over her lips as she forced herself to concentrate on applying her lashes. "I like that." She whispers softly, but he hears it with absolute clarity.

           She rushed off to the bathroom the second her lashes were in place, retrieving her phone with the steady sound of her heels clicking on the hardwood floor. "Caroline's headed there now, let me grab my wallet and we can go."

           "Leave it, I'll handle it tonight."

           "But my ID?"

           Damon sauntered past her with a smirk, his all black ensemble adding to the allure of his darkness. "I'm a vampire, baby. I've got it handled."