34

Chapter 34: Loopholes

"I thought I told you to stay naked?" Damon sing-songed, sauntering into his room in slow, steady steps. He kicked off his shoes, a half-filled glass of bourbon clutched in his grasp, blue eyes low and soft as he watched her change out of her white clothes and shuffle into a dark crewneck he kept in the deepest parts of his closet.

"Got a little caught up." Nala barely looked his way, throwing the clothes she'd been wearing into a long forgotten heap in the corner.

"Doing what?"

The moon was still shining brightly through the curtains, the dark sky turning a pale orange along the horizon as the night began shifting into day. Nala had spent hours outside in the woods, her nerves frazzled and skin thrumming with all the energy she'd exerted summoning shadows and bending them to her will until she'd broken into a sweat. She'd regretting upsetting her grandmother, feeling the first hand affects of such wrath as she was barely granted a break between her teachings. Marie bid her goodbye when the fresh dew began to drop, tossing Nala a old leather bound book without another word. "Nothing special." She mumbled groggily, wringing her curls free from the bun she'd wrapped them in earlier. "How was dinner?"

"Dramatic, awkward but I have to say the wine was aged to perfection." Damon rolled his eyes, recalling Klaus prodding at Stefan's soft spots—taunting him with talk of Elena or itching to trigger his bloodlust while feeding on the waitstaff. The night seemed to never end, the room tense and filled with testosterone before their secret weapon had made her appearance. Damon was sure he'd never forget the genuine look of surprise that settled onto Klaus' features when his mother walked in with all of his siblings—undaggered and ready for vengeance. "Either way, at least for now, Klaus isn't going to be our problem. I'm sure his mommy is putting him in his place as we speak."

"Sounds riveting." A brow raised, the oldest Salvatore setting down his drink as he stood behind her, hands sliding around the curve of her shoulders and squeezed. Nala's movements stopped almost instantly, a shaky sigh passing her lips as he massaged her gently; not stopping until her muscles relaxed and her voice grew soft—so soft Damon was positive that if he didn't have enhanced hearing he wouldn't have caught her words. "Thank you. I needed that."

He nodded, humming softly, continuing his movements until she was as pliant as putty in his grasp. "Long night?"

"You don't know the half of it."

       "Want me to take your mind off of it?"

       Nala's head fell to his chest, ear flush with the soft cotton of his shirt, his heartbeat thrumming rhythmically in his chest until her breathing had matched the tempo. "I don't think I have the energy to do much if I'm honest." Her muscles ached, a different kind of exhaustion taking over that didn't seem to be cured no matter how dexterous Damon's fingers were when kneeling at the tight knots in her back.