14

Chapter 14: Into the Rabbit Hole

       Bright gleams of warm sunlight radiated through the thin, light colored curtains, the gentle sound of wind chimes waking Nala from her slumber. Wiping the drool from her bottom lip and growing her unruly chestnut curls out of her face, she lazily stood up and stretched.

       Brown eyes glanced over at a clock, her eyes catching a note on the counter in Caroline's curly handwriting, "Call me after school. xoxo Care"

       Setting it back down she nodded in acknowledgement, two feet and ten toes supporting her weight to take the journey upstairs and to the bathroom. The shower was turned as warm as she could bear and the sea salt and lavender body wash she used was doing it's job in effectively waking her up. Soft music played from her speaker, the gentle flow doing its job to sooth her mind as the water soothed her body.

         Time passed effortlessly, thirty minutes going by under the stress stream without a single regret. Nala had barely covered her body in her towel when her phone rang, interrupting her music and effectively silencing the vibe she'd accumulated throughout her home. "Yes," She greeted, her tone sing-songy and gracefully high-pitched.

         "You're up, thank God," Damon's gravely voice flowed through the reciever. Harsh rock music played in the background, the faint sound of women giggling was also detected and immediately a hand raised to hook onto her hip. "My idiot brother is throwing a little party and is cramping my style—he ruined my Persian rug, can you believe that?"

        "Doesn't cost much to have it dry cleaned."

        "Not the point—" A knock on the door was heard, a female voice with an accent was faintly heard. "Is this Klaus' sister?"

        Nala perked up at his question even though it wasn't even directed towards her, two fingers snapping together to bring her an outfit from her upstairs closet. Floating down the stairs was a thin strappy sundress and a pair of yellow sandals. "Need some help?"

        "Seriously?"

        She chuckled at the obvious surprise he displayed, her feet sliding into the top of her dress as she shimmied it on her frame; both feet slipping into the shoes she had. One large claw clip was unhooked from its hook and was positioned firmly in her curls, pulling the majority of it from her face—a few stray pieces dangling happily on her neck and face. "Don't sound so shocked, I'm only coming so I can later use you for some of your assets."

        His sly smirk was evident in his words. "Are you trying to take advantage of me?"

        "Depends," She shrugged her shoulders even though she knew he couldn't see her. The phone she had was clutched between her cheek and shoulder as she absentmindedly sauntered around the house aimlessly as the call proceeded. "Do you consent?"