27

Chapter 27: Pride is the Devil

         Nala awoke with a jolt, sleep still thick in her eyes. Unruly locks of rich umber curly coils were tied into a pineapple bun at the top of her head, rebellious baby hairs sticking out in all directions. Laveau's eyes were seconds from slipping back into the comforting cocoon of darkness when ebony hands gripped anxiously at her shoulder, fingers curling around her tightly as she shook at Nala fervently, wide witchy eyes peering down at her. "I need your help," Bonnie gasps, her heartbeat beating like a drum in the otherwise silent bedroom. "It's Caroline."

        "What happened?" The voodoo priestess escaped the comfortable confines of the expensive duvet that belonged to Damon, who's sleeping body remained unmoving—the previous night wearing his body out in ways that he hadn't experienced since being a human.

         Nala shrugged on the shirt Bonnie Bennett threw her way, sliding on some shorts and tucking her bare feet into her lavender slides. "Last night, after you left the bar, Caroline met up with Tyler in the woods—it's bad Nala." The witch pauses, her lips pursing into a crooked line as she struggled to get the words out. "He bit her."

          "Bit her?" All traces of her slumber vanished, brown eyes alert and tone clipped as she spoke. "He's a hybrid, she'll die."

          "I'm aware, which is why I'm here for you." Bonnie shut the Salvatore's front door behind her as the supernaturally gifted duo dashed to her car. "Your magic is stronger than mine and we were hoping you'd know a way to stop it—or reverse it maybe." The green-eyed girl barely noticed that Nala hadn't followed suit in the car, the passenger seat vacant as Bonnie turned the key in the ignition. "Nala, what are you doing? We need to go!"

Nala nods in agreement, rounding the back of the car until she reached the driver door, it opened under her grip with force. "Hold your breath."

"What?"

Nala gripped ahold of Bonnie's wrist, her voodoo magic projecting from her being and onto another's, their bodies teleporting from where they stood, to Caroline's front porch.

Bonnie lurched forward the moment they landed, her stomach contents barely missing the steps before they emptied in the bushes.

Nala grimaced, tucking the cuff of her shirt over her nose in distaste. "I did tell you to hold your breath." She knocked on the white door three times, the privacy glass doing its job at concealing those inside.

A few moments later, the Sheriff opened the door, a deep frown on her face as her hands rubbed nervously against the worn denim of her jeans. "Please tell me you can help her."

         "I'm going to try," Nala did her best not to make eye contact with her best friend's mom, the cerulean stare of expectations and hope too intimidating to face head on. It only took a few moments to realize that it was the first time that she'd ever truly been inside of Caroline's house. The pretty crème-painted walls uncharacteristicly bright under the dark circumstances. Nala let out a deep breath before she entered the second door down the hall, flouncy curtains blowing gently under the pressures of the wind. "Blondie, I leave you alone for five minutes—"