9

'Ever since that night, something inside of me wanted to understand him. I want to know Hanako better since I barely know him or his past. Maybe I can just ask, but who knows if he'll reject the idea.'

"Emi, you ok?" Hanako asked, taking a bite of a sandwich as Kou and Nene placed food on their napkins.

"Yea." Emiko took a bite of her sandwich, eyes laying on her. "What?" she asked with food in her mouth. She raised her emerald orbs to see the others' puzzled looks. 

"What's wrong?" Nene questioned, slowly taking a bite.

"Nothing." Emiko chuckled, making it sound pretty believable. "Just thinking of someone." Nene's eyes widened to her friend's words.

"Who?! Is it a hot boy at school?!" Nene spoke, almost leaping forward from excitement, almost squishing her sandwich. 

"Yes!" Emiko blurted in response, her eyes glittering as the girls exchanged a similar look. 

"Kou, they're talking about boys again." Hanako pouted, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Yea." Kou continued to munch on his food as the girls continued to ramble to each other. 

"He's so hot, isn't he?" Emiko said, causing the two to laugh from happiness. In the corner of her eye, Emiko noticed Hanako's slightly pouted look. "Awe, look at you!" She leaped to her side, rubbing her side against Hanako's shoulder. 

"You guys keep talking about hot boys." He tried to take another bite of his sandwich, but Emiko quickly got to it first. A chunk of it was ripped out and munched on in her mouth. "Hey, Emi!" Hanako dropped the sandwich on his napkin as she stood quickly. Her body began to run towards the other side of the rooftop, avoiding everyone's eyes. 

"Can't catch me!" Emiko shouted, Hanako quickly grabbed her torso from behind, tightening his grip. She struggled in his arms but quickly stopped when she realized that she was out of sight from both Kou and Nene. 

'Now it's time to ask about him.'

"Hanako," she whispered his grip loosening, allowing her to lightly push his arms away. "Can you tell me something?" Once she turned around, she noticed a puzzled look on his face. 

"Tell you what?" Hanako asked.

"Anything." she sighed. "Anything about you." Her eyes were soft, begging for an answer. His head ducked, a shadow casting over his eyes. 

"Why do you want to"

"Because you are my friend." Hanako's eyes widened to her pleading voice. He noticed her eyes and how they were sparkling from a sudden layer of liquid appearing on them. She didn't seem like she was going to cry, but her eye's watered. 

"You're my best friend!" Emiko's brother sang, moving his figurine. 

"No, you're my best friend." Emiko moved hers, making her figure jump. Emiko's eyes raised to her brother's hearing him chuckle at the action figures. 

"Please, anything?" Emiko dropped her head, hoping for him to respond, as well as keeping herself from tearing up.

"I...really like donuts." Emiko's gaze shot up, a smile growing on her face. "Please, don't cry." 

Emiko began to chuckle, jumping forward. Her arms wrapped around Hanako, not noticing her habit kick in. 

"Thank you!" She grabbed his hand and ran towards the others. 

"We missed you!" Nene blurted as Emiko sat beside Nene, letting Hanako's hand go. 

***

"Kou!" Emiko blurted, rushing to his side, noticing his famous traffic earring. 

"Yea?" She leaned close towards him, continuing their walk down the hall. 

"How has your staff been?" She chuckled, backing off of him when she saw a little blush on his cheeks. 

"It's not working, as usual." His face dropped to an angered one as thoughts of his electrical weapon flooded his mind. 

"Well, I actually came to ask you a question." she beamed, looking up into his blue eyes. "Do you like Nene?" His face instantly reddened, turning his gaze towards the hall. 

"U-uh, she's a great friend." he stuttered nervously. Emiko nodded, clasping her hands behind her back. 

"Well, that's good." She side-stepped closer to Kou, looking up at him once more. "Maybe, she likes-" she leaned a few inches closer. "You." Once Emiko realized she kicked into her habit, she backed off quickly, Kou's blush reverting to his normal skin tone. 

"Uh, a-"

"I'm sorry." She looked straight down the hall. "I didn't mean to get too close." Kou shook his head as he nervously chuckled. 

"It's ok." A short silence interrupted him. "Do you like donuts?"

"Yes! Why?" Emiko blurted. Suddenly, the hall grew quiet. 

"I'm bad at baking, so can you help me?" Kou looked towards her short stature, watching her gleaming eyes.

"Yes, I love baking." 

Once they reached the kitchen, they both strapped on white aprons. Emiko's face presented pride and determination to create the best donuts.

'I got this.'

"Ready?" Emiko nodded as Kou placed the last ingredient in front of them.

"So, we stir these things together." Emiko pointed out.

Emiko demanded certain ingredients as Kou rushed to receive them. They continued to make the perfect batter, Emiko grabbing a wooden spoon to stir.

"So, we just stir it like this?" Emiko asked him, attempting to remember different ways to bake since it's been years. Kou stepped behind her, grabbing her hand as his taller stature towered over her. His other hand pointed towards the pictures of the instructions. 

"Yea, but more gently." Emiko nodded, suddenly feeling his body heat hit hers, realizing how close she was to him. As they continued to stir, she noticed their hands touching, suddenly beginning to blush. "There, it's done." He pulled himself away from her. Emiko then took the batter and set it beside the fryer. 

"Thanks, Kou." Her cheeks still felt slightly warm, suddenly a white wisp wandered in front of her face. 

"What's wrong?" Kou asked, seeing Emiko turn her blushed face towards him. 

"Nothing." She chuckled nervously. Suddenly, Kou realized why she must've felt uncomfortable. 

"I'm sorry! Was I-I...sorry." Kou spoke, waving his hands around as Emiko continually told him that everything was ok. 

"Well, they're finished," Emiko spoke as she lowered the freshly made donuts on a plate with a napkin under them. 

"Wow."

"These look better than any other donuts I have created," Emiko added, gazing into the lovely aroma of the normal donuts. Their warmth presented steam to fly through Emiko's face. 

"Kou?" A lower voice peered through the silence, making the two turn to face him. 

"Brother?"

"Teru?" Teru sighed as he stepped closer towards them. 

"Wait, you know my brother?" Kou asked, pointing towards him. Emiko nodded, patting Teru's shoulder.

"So, is she your girl-" Kou instantly stuffed a donut into Teru's mouth, shutting him up. Teru nibbled on it, saying how amazing it tastes. 

"Thanks, Teru!" Emiko blurted, patting his shoulder again. 

After Teru finished his donut, and the two hung their aprons on the wall, he noticed the white wisp floating beside Emiko. His eyes squinted, swallowing the last bit of the donut. 

"Kou, we need to talk." Teru pulled him aside, making sure Emiko wouldn't hear.