12

"Emiko." She could hear the smirk on Hanako's face as she shut the girls' bathroom door behind her.

"Yes, my lord." She bowed playfully, seeing him leap off the windowsill, walking towards her position.

"That's funny. Anyway-" He placed his hands on top of her head, making her stand straight up and moving her emerald orbs to his. "You know that big tree everyone is saying you find true love?" He asked, removing his hand.

"Yea?"

"Well, instead of meeting me here, meet me under that tree at the same time." The last thing Emiko saw on his face as he marched out was a large smile.

'Why does he want to meet me there? If it's to confess to me...First of all, why would he confess? Second of all, why under that tree?'

Emiko stood in silence looking around the empty bathroom.

***

Emiko pushed the door open, seeing the sunshine down on her, feeling that its rays hit her skin. She clasped her hands behind her back as her legs brought her to the magical tree. Emiko stood beneath its leaves, waiting for the ghost to appear.

"Emiko." She pivoted towards the boy's voice, seeing him lunge forward with a grip on her shoulders.

"This is difficult to say, but-" He paused. "I love you. Do you feel the same way?" Emiko stood in complete shock.

'He loves me? Why me? I have done terrible things. I don't deserve this. He loves me?'

"I uh..." Her mouth couldn't move. Hanako leaned forward, whispering into her ear.

"C'mon say no." Her cheeks began to turn red from his chilly breath, making her jump slightly.

"No." She mumbled, suddenly hearing the tree move.

"That's not how it's supposed to go!" the old tree blurted, the trunk presenting some face as the leaves moved just a little.

"Hello. You are forcing kids to love each other, which is unnatural." Hanako claimed, his dark cloak swaying in the wind as his knife was well gripped in his right hand. One of the white wisps found its way towards Emiko as the other floated beside Hanako.

"You fool! Love is the best thing. It builds life and helps futures!" the old tree preached, swaying his leaves.

"Not when it's forced." Hanako dashed forward, gripping tightly on his blade. His arm pulled back, lunging it forward to salsa the old face.

"Oh!" The old man present in the tree began to fade, as well as the tree.

"Well, that's over with." Hanako's cape and knife dissipated into space, his face turning to make contact with Emiko's. She still stood in shock, her eyes wide and her body stiff as a tree trunk. "Emi?"

Once he said her name, she was pulled out of her trans. She intertwined her fingers behind her back and dropped her gaze to the ground, seeing the dirt and grass beneath her feet.

"Emi?" Hanako took a few steps towards her.

'That was Hanako saying he loved me than him saying for me to say no.'

Her face presented despair as her thumbs fiddled together behind her body.

"Emi?" The name clicked once again, making her raise her head as Hanako's hands rested on her shoulders.

"Yea?"

"Are...you alright?" He tilted his head to the side in confusion.

"Y-yea." She stuttered, walking towards the school building when her wrist was grasped by Hanako.

"No, you're not." Her eyes met with his. She shook her head.

"But I am."

"Is it because I said 'I love you?" His grip on her wrist still held on.

"Well-" her head dropped, watching their hands. "That's was the first time anyone, besides my family, has told me that." Hanako lowered his grin and looked towards her sorrowful face by kneeling in front of her.

"I'm sorry. " Hanako said as his thumb rubbed the top of her forearm. "Really, I am."

"It's fine." Lightly, she ripped her hand out of his grasp, making her feet pull her away from the ghost boy.

'"I love you, sis!"'

'"I love you, my daughter."'

She heard footsteps trail behind her, making her eyes roll to the corner of them so they would see who was following them.

Hanako had his hands stuffed in his pockets as his posture was upright beside her.