13

Emiko stood there, spinning her body to see someone young. This person had turquoise hair cut short, as the little kid seemed like a younger boy. She couldn't see his face but only saw his hair. His face stayed parallel to the ground. 

"Hello?" Emiko spoke out, taking a cautious step towards the young boy. 

"Emi, who do you see?" She shot her gaze back to look at Hanako, whose face was completely puzzled. Once her eyes came back to the same area the young boy stood, he vanished. 

"I thought I saw someone." She sighed and began to walk towards the school doors, seeing everyone leave out of the front entrance. 

"Emi." Hanako's voice didn't stop her, she just continued to take each step with a little bit of sadness. "Emi, wait." Hanako caught up to her, walking beside her. He noticed her eyes covered in sad secrets and felt like he wanted to uncover them. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing." Her grip on her own hand behind her back intensified, making her grit her teeth. 

"I love you, sis."

'I can't get his voice out of my head.'

Her steps continued to the roof in which she would sleep, Hanako following behind her. 

"You think Nene is worried?" Emiko asked him, standing beside the railing of the roof. 

"Maybe, but I think she knows your fine." His voice was much calmer, sounding like there was a grin on his face as they both leaned their arms against the railing, gazing out into the haze of the orange skies. 

"Well, I must sleep now." Emiko lowered her body in that position and laid beside the railing, watching the sun lower itself. 

"Goodnight," Hanako spoke before she felt his presence leave her with the wind. 

***

"Emiko! Have you heard?" Nene blurted as Emiko closed her textbook, sitting in her seat. 

"What?" She darted her attention to Nene who has dashed towards Emiko's desk. 

"The four o'clock library. Apparently, people can see their pasts and futures in the books. The red books contain darkness, so don't read those, but the white ones are for the living as the black ones are for the dead." Emiko took a liking to this rumor. Nodding to her friend, she beamed. 

"Thanks for the information!" Emiko sprung out of her seat, taking a step towards her dear friend. "I'll look into that." Emiko began to run out of the class, hearing faint screams from Nene. As Emiko's eyes stayed back to the classroom door, she felt something bump into her. 

"Emiko?" Kou's voice blurted through his lips, making Emiko look up towards him. 

"Oh, hey Kou." She inched her small stature closer to him, almost practically touching. "How have you been?" 

"Good. Why are you in the hallway?" He asked, cocking his head to the side. 

"Ahh, come with me." Emiko grinned and gripped onto Kou's wrist. 

"Wait, what-"

"C'mon!" she blurted, running with him trailing her tracks. Her gripped tightened once they both reached the library. "You know what time it is, right?"

"No.

"Well, it is four o'clock." Emiko stepped foot into the library, looking around to see normal books stacked everywhere. 

"Why are we here?" Kou asked. Emiko didn't respond, noticing a blue butterfly fly past her face. Out of curiosity, she followed it. "You gonna tell me?" he insisted once more, but there was still no response.