chapter thirteen

Ryha knew sacrifice.

In fact, it's all she ever knew.  She gave up everything for those around her, and she did it without complaint or hesitation.  Whether it be meals, free time, or, yes, even a best friend, she did it.  She looked after those around her as she wished to be looked after, and she lived by that sentiment.

But if someone tried to take her away from the feeling of warmth and peace she was currently experiencing, she would have killed them where they stood. She was selfish and possessive over the feeling, and even worse, she wanted to be that way. She wanted to put her own comfort above the rest of the galaxy — and so for once, she did.

As she gained more and more of her consciousness, she refused to open her eyes for fear of it vanishing with the Tatooine suns. She felt herself relaxing into it, assuring herself that as long as her eyes stayed closed, she would be in it forever. Ryha breathed it in, and let it wrap around her like a cocoon of safety and love.

That's what it was: love.

And as if the love sensed her coming around, it grew intenser, making Ryha burrow deeper into it.  And in return, the love began manifesting itself into something physical.  Playing with the ends of her hair, stroking her cheek, and eventually, talking to her.

"Open your eyes, Ryha," it whispered.  "Open your eyes for me."

It was a trick — it had to be.

Screwing her eyes further shut, she buried her face further into the love, determined to stay strong. She knew what would happen when she woke, and she didn't think she could face the cold of loneliness again.

"Ryha, it's me. It's Anakin. You're safe now. I'm here, I promise."

Ryha knew sacrifice, yes, but she also knew cruelty.

And this was the cruelest thing anyone had ever done to her.

Even from behind her closed eyes, tears started to form, and slipped out as she shuddered back her sobs. She could feel herself becoming more and more awake with every second, and she knew that if she opened her eyes, he would be gone. She couldn't handle that. Not when the love that she was feeling was his.

Ryha would have happily stayed blind forever if it meant that she never had to let him go.

"Wake up, Ryha, I know you can do it..." he pleaded.

"N-No," she choked out, finding it hard to keep her composure. "I-I can't."

She heard Anakin let out a shuddering breath before his arms around her tightened, making the whole situation even harder for her, if possible.

"Why not?" he asked, just barely containing his own emotions.  "Why can't you?"

"Because if I do..." she choked out.  "You'll be gone.  A-And I can't wake up.  I c-can't go back to that p-place."

Ryha felt a pair of warm lips press against her forehead and hands finding her cheeks, making her flinch.

"It's me, Ryha.  When you open your eyes, it'll still be me.  I'm not going anywhere, and you... You will never have to go through that again.  I will never let anything happen to you.  And I can prove it, I just need you to see it for yourself."

Ryha sucked in a few harsh breaths, shaking her head.  It was a trick.  He wouldn't be there.  She would open her eyes and be at the mercy of those people who had held her captive for the past month.

"I can't go back..." she whispered.

"And you won't.  Just trust me, Ryha."

Letting out a sob, Ryha screwed her eyes shut as hard as she could before letting go.  She trusted Anakin — even if it was a trick.  Even if she opened her eyes and he was only there for a moment.  She trusted him above anything or anyone else.