chapter nine

n// sorry if this seems jumbled or whatever i'm making the transition into attack of the clones!! at least it's a long chapter lmao i hope u enjoy :)

Anakin never really had good days.

Not that they were necessarily bad, it's just that they were never good, either. He was a glass half empty — an incomplete man. He was missing the two people that made him complete, but he hid it well.  

That was the skill he'd mastered best, he reckoned.  Most of his energy was spent forcing the memories down until he was alone in his chambers.  That was when he felt at ease.  When he could finally let his guard down.  Only then was he a man, opposed to a Jedi. 

Sighing, he laid down and closed his eyes, relaxing for the first time since he awoke. He let his guard down, and let the little boy he left back on Tatooine resurface.  He felt the sea of emotions he'd been holding back wash over him — the part he didn't know if he loathed or loved most — but let it do so anyways, succumbing to his slumber.

It was then when he saw her.

The Tatooine suns had yet to fully rise, and there she was in the twilight, staring out into the abyss. The purple and orange hues cast a brilliant glow over her angular face, and he watched as the soft winds blew her unruly hair around her face.

She was an angel if he'd ever seen one.

And right when he didn't think his vision could get anymore beautiful, there his Ryha was, proving him wrong like she always did. As the suns rose over the horizon, she did something that left Anakin reeling.

She smiled.

Something so simple, so natural, yet so rare for his Ryha — a full, beaming, genuine smile. He couldn't even remember the last time he'd seen her do such a thing, but one thing was certain: Anakin Skywalker would have this image burned into his mind for as long as he lived. This was heaven, he was sure of it.

But as if someone had flipped a switch, his heaven turned to hell.

Visions of Ryha flashed before his eyes, bound and gagged, bloody and bruised.  He could feel it.  Her pain.  Her suffering.  He could feel it as if it were his own, and oh, how he wished it could have been his.  But, instead, he watched as she was tortured, not being able to do a single thing about it.

He screamed her name, clawed, cried out for her, but it was no use.  She was there, being hurt right in front of him, and he couldn't make good on his vow to always protect her.

That was worse than any hell he could have ever imagined.

But, luckily for him, his hell was interrupted, waking him with a sharp gasp.

"Anakin," a familiar voice sounded from behind the door. "You're needed at once."

Rushing out of bed, Anakin threw on his robe and opened his door, revealing the face of his very own Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

"Gather your things," he instructed with authority, taking in Anakin's sweaty state. "And fix yourself while you're at it."

"Why?" he asked, doing as told. "What's going on, Master?"

"We have a mission." he replied, sending a smile towards Anakin. "With an old friend of yours, I believe."

At this, Anakin's interest piqued. He didn't have many old friends — stars, he hardly had any friends at all.

"Who is it? What's the mission?"

"A Senator Amidala has been on the receiving end of multiple attempts on her life, and our assistance in her protection is needed."