chapter twenty

n// IM SUPER LATE BUT MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH U!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Obi-Wan didn't know any better, he would think that Anakin was about to kill the pilot of their ship.

"Calm down, Anakin," he muttered, observing his friend as he clenched and unclenched his gloved fist.  "We'll reach Couresant shortly."

"I know, Master, but if I could just—"

"Patience, Anakin."

"I know, Obi-Wan, but we could've been there already if I were—"

"But you're not." the older of the two chuckled.  "So relax, Anakin.  What's got you in such a rush to get back?"

Both of them knew the answer to that question, but neither of them were going to say it.

"The Council's promise of a short break before we go back to war," Anakin spoke smoothly, now standing up a little straighter.  "If I may, Obi-Wan, I'm a little excited for it."

"A well deserved break, indeed." Chancellor Palestine chimed in.  "But first, you have to deal with the welcoming committee."

The look on Anakin's face brought smiles to both his elders.

"Oh, I'm not brave enough for politicians."

"Nonsense," Palpatine chuckled.  "You're a Jedi."

Anakin nodded at the Chancellor's words and shared a look with Obi-Wan, who looked all too smug for his liking.  All he wanted to do was get off the damn plane and find his wife, but there seemed to be endless obstacles standing in his way. 

Every second he spent apart from his darling Ryha was like being set on fire, and he didn't know how much more he could take.

At long last, the ship finally came to a stop before a mass of people awaiting their arrival.  Anakin's heart leapt for a split second before plummeting, noting one of the biggest disappointments he had ever had.  His wife was nowhere to be seen.  However, he didn't have time to dwell on that at the moment.  He had to focus on getting out of there as soon as humanly possible so that he could go find her.

Anakin watched as Chancellor Palpatine was welcomed home with open arms, returning to his position of power like nothing had even happened.  He didn't know how the Chancellor did it.

"Are you coming, Master?" Anakin asked, looking back at Obi-Wan who had yet to get off the ship.

"Oh, no.  As a wise man once stated, I'm not brave enough for politicians." Obi-Wan teased with a smile.  "I have to report to the council.  Besides, someone needs to be the poster boy."

"Hold on.  This whole operation was your idea," Anakin contested, dreading the crowds already.

The longer he was entertaining the hero fantasies of the chumps that did nothing all day in congress, the less time he had with his wife.

"Let us not forget, Anakin, that you rescued me from the buzz droids.  And you killed Count Dooku, and you rescued the Chancellor, carrying me unconscious on your back."

Anakin wasn't giving up, "All because of your training."

"Anakin, let's be fair.  Today you were the hero, and you deserve your glorious day with the politicians."

Sighing, Anakin weighed his options.  Despite his dreading the notion of dealing with the sleazy and slimy decision makers of the galaxy, he knew that the closer he was to them, the closer he was to his darling.  So, he resigned to it.

"All right.  But you owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time."

"Ninth time," Obi-Wan corrected.  "That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't count.  I'll see you at the briefing."