chapter three

As Anakin and Ryha walked the empty Tatooine streets back to Ryha's home, they were silent for once. They were both in deep thought over what had happened that day, and if they were both being honest, they couldn't believe it. Neither of them knew what the future held, nor what would happen if Anakin didn't win the race, but they both knew that Anakin would stop at nothing to help friends.

"Ani?" Ryha asked, looking over at the boy she adored so much. "What happens after the race?"

"What do you mean?" the boy pondered, swinging their hands back and forth absentmindedly.  "When I win or if I lose?"

That was another thing Ryha loved about him so much — he was always so sure about whatever he did.  To Anakin Skywalker, there was no way he could ever fail at anything.  He gave 110% in whatever he was doing and he knew his worth.  And if he did just so happen to fail at something, he stopped at nothing until he succeeded.  His confidence was something Ryha deeply admired, but also deeply envied.

"Both, I suppose."

"Well, when I win, Qui-Gon will get the parts that he needs from the shop, and we'll get to keep the rest of the prize money.  Then, we can do whatever we want from there."

"And if you lose?"

"I won't."

"But what if you do?"

"I won't." Anakin repeated.  "But for your sake, if I do lose, they'll find another way to get the parts they need.  I'm sure of it.  I just want to help them."

"Why?" Ryha asked curiously.

"Because I know they can help us in return.  Qui-Gon is a Jedi, Ryha.  Maybe if we help him, he can help us.  We won't have to be slaves anymore!  We can leave Tatooine and never look back — just like we've always dreamed of!"

At his reasoning, Ryha felt her heart swell.  Even when he was putting himself in danger, he was doing it for them.  For their future.  Ryha may have been young, but she knew sacrifice when she saw it.  Smiling softly, she looked over at her Ani and nodded, finally seeming to warm up to his idea.

"Good thing you're going to win then, Ani."

At her words, a smile spread across his cheeks, and he gained a sudden pep in his step.  However, it was quickly lost when the pair finally arrived at their destination.

"I don't see why you can't just live with mom and I," Anakin spat, glaring in the direction of Ryha's slave master's hut.  "I hate you living here."

"We both know why I can't stay with you, Ani," Ryha's small voice replied.  "We're lucky that he even lets me see you in the first place."

Anakin clenched his jaw as they got closer and closer to the hut, feeling his anger build as he noticed her master's light still on.  As far as slave owners went, Ryha didn't have the worst, but that wasn't saying much.  In the eyes of Anakin Skywalker, there was no such thing as a good slave owner — all of them were scum.  Ryha's owner wasn't a gentle master, but he was generous enough to let her see Anakin and Shmi when she was done with her workload for the day; as long as she did it right.  He was a richer man with more than one slave, so the rest of them helped look after and raise Ryha, as well.  But to Anakin, none of them could look after her better than himself.  The only time he knew for certain that she was safe was when she was with him.

"I hate him."  Anakin grumbled.  "When we get out of here, Ryha, I'll make sure he never sees you again.  He'd have better luck at finding an ocean here on Tatooine than he would at finding you."

Ryha smiled softly and nodded, thanking him for his promises.  But, as she dreaded doing every night, it was time to say goodbye to her beloved Anakin Skywalker.

"Goodnight, Ani," she muttered, hugging him tight.  "I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow, Ry."

The pair held each other a little bit longer before eventually and reluctantly separating, and Ryha began walking to the door of her master's home.

"Goodnight, Ryha." Anakin called out one last time.

Ryha just sent her friend a little wave before entering her hut, leaving Anakin alone in the evening air — or so he thought.

"True friendship is a gift," Qui-Gon spoke, letting his presence be known to the boy.  "You protect it well, Anakin."

Anakin didn't even flinch at the sudden presence of the Jedi.  It was like he already knew he was there, in a way, even if he didn't know how.

"I wish she could live with me," Anakin spoke with a certain anger lacing his voice.  "It isn't fair."

"Most of life isn't fair, young one." Qui-Gon comforted.  "But I understand your frustration.  It's never easy leaving the ones we love."

"She should be with family, not an owner."

"And I'm assuming the family you're talking about is you and your mother?"

Anakin nodded bitterly, prompting Qui-Gon to nod his head.

"And what of her own family?"

"She never knew them. She was sold before she could remember. All either of us have ever known is slavery."

Qui-Gon nodded his head at the information he was given, and left it at that.

"Come, Anakin," he later spoke. "You've got a big day tomorrow — you need your rest."

And with that, he took Qui-Gon's outstretched hand and began the walk home in silence.

n// sorry this chapter is so much shorter than the other ones!! i wanted something that allows you guys to get a deeper understanding of anakin and ryha's relationship. also, for all those who are asking, ryha's name is pronounced "RY-UH" not "RY-HAW". anyways, hope y'all enjoyed, let me know what you're thinking so far, and i love u!!