4. It was worth waiting

In childhood, nobody paid much attention to Rolf, he hardly saw his parents, he did not get along with his much older siblings, so he preferred to remain alone with the animals the Scamander family was known for. When he went to Hogwarts and was assigned to Hufflepuff he found friends anyway. In fact, they found him. In the ends Rolf had a few good friends in his house and even two or three in others, but this boy was not looking for new acquaintances in younger years and has never been interested in them. After all, what for? He had his best friend Luther with whom he hung out from the first days of school. Since he was a Muggle-born, boy was interested in everything and Rolf's knowledge of beasts and magical creatures was truly fascinating to him. And Rolf was happy because finally someone noticed him and listened.

     Years passed very quickly, Rolf studied good and had fine grades, but in fact he did not need them anyway. After all, the name gave him sure job in the future. Not only work, if the headmaster of Hogwarts didn't know his grandfather, the young Scamander would probably have been expelled long ago. His behavior was definitely not exemplary, but only such antics gave attention and made his life not monotonous. He planned to become magizoologists along with his best friend, so he did whatever he wanted and for whom.

     Then came those days. This was almost end of Rolf and Luther's final year of study. Scamander's lingering optimistic friend was overshadowed by his sadness about leaving school. Rolf did not understand it because he wanted to do everything to get out of this place, but he honestly did not want to raise a rare scandal in the newspapers, which have been writing about nothing for some time. In addition, Rolf wanted to take advantage of his teenage years and could boast quite a number of dates and more, unfortunately, the last attempt at a relationship with a recent acquaintance, which ended very stormy. The fact that they had been from the same house, one year, and seeing each other every day this year did not make things any easier for him. Actually, it was very tiring.

     But all he had to admit this year was he approached one of the Weasley. Charlie, because that was his name, was interested in dragons and wanted to study them, which was a common topic of conversation. Also, he was ok with Hagrid whom he could talk to and from whom he had several books. In general, most of the people who are close to Rolf would never say what a rude and unpleasant person he could be, but it must be admitted that Scamander did not want to lose those who already wanted to stay with him and there were not many such honest people.

     And after Hogwarts ended, it surprisingly became even more monotonous. Nobody said it aloud, but everyone knew that Rolf had become the leader of the magizoologist group just because of his name and his grandfather. All researchers were divided into small groups of 5 to 10 people, so basically the man knew everyone and there were no conflicts or problems. Well, apart from the fact that his ex-friend and recent unsuccessful love from school were there too. Fortunately, he was in a higher position, but it was not very pleasant for him, especially since she immediately got along too well with the new employee. Well yeah, the new team member Luna Lovegood definitely added something more interesting to Rolf's life with her specificity, but the very fact that she was always nice to him always made him confused. Except for Luther, whom Scamander had arranged himself, no one had been so genuinely nice to him. Of course, people were polite, but it was more of an employee to a boss relationship, not a friend to a friend. Of course, the man did not want to admit too many people and rather closed in on himself, so he could not be surprised by the attitude of his employees but this one young girl was different.

     More years passed and Rolf was devastated. During one trip, his best friend died. Of course it was a risky job, after all, everyone knows what to write when you push yourself to dangerous creatures, but nonetheless he was devastated anyway. It was the first and only person to listen and just be there, honestly. But this situation had one plus, because the only person who was really there for Rolf at the time was this young and eccentric girl. She didn't say just sorry for him like the rest of them did, she just listened and let him cry and was definitely the first person to whom he opened up so much. He told about everything and trusted. And he apologized for not treating her as well as she treated him, just coldly and frankly. But Luna didn't have to forgive because she was never even angry with him.

     After time in the group, everything started to go wrong. The mountain overstretched the rigors following the death of one of the staff and made the rest of the mix after the other teams. Luna and Rolf stayed together but working in a group of strangers was not pleasant for them. Scamander decided to give up leadership position and the couple simply started a new freelance and do better than ever. They began to discover more and more creatures, and Luna slowly became more and more famous. But she honestly didn't care, and it shocked the man a lot. After all, his reputation had given him a lifetime of relief, and it was strange for him not to take advantage of it. 

     And then they started dating. It came out very naturally quite different from his other one-time relationships. Plus, knowing Charlie was irritating at the moment. After all, even before they were in a relationship, his old friend Weasley told the rest of his siblings about Rolf's conquests, so out of spite, his brother and sister had to be friends with Luna. Of course, her entire group of friends was glaring murderously at him when he was first invited to meet them and his zero social skills and definitely incompatible characters did not make this relationship any easier. But somehow it worked. It took a while, but Rolf could convince everyone, even Hermione cheerfully, and live in harmony with them. This allowed him and Luna to travel together, renovate their own accounts, and live happily with each other. Finally, of course, it was time for a proposal, he delayed a long time because he was stupidly afraid of "no" but it was dumb because his future wife said yes. Emotions took over him, and it was the first time in a dose that Scamander had tears of joy on his dark face.

     And now it got to the point where they were both huddled together in bed. It was their wedding night. Rolf never realized that the relationship or even marriage, would be a happy way for him, but he did not regret anything. He had his beloved person with him whom he could trust and who loved him immeasurably. Rolf loved her weirdness and smile and innocence. And Luna just accepted him for who he was, not who he was trying to be.