One.

-----YEARS LATER-----

"Poet." The man in white said, popping his head through the door. She looked up at him, her bright blue eyes shining duller everyday. Poet stood painting, in a sense. She loved painting, drawing, all that stuff. In a way, it kept her calm. It kept her emotions at bay. And she was a  very emotional person, which explains the high number of paintings on her walls. "You have a visitor."

"Yeah?" She questioned, her voice reeking of her Sokovian accent. "Who?"

"I'm not your secretary." He huffed, and she turned back to her painting as he pushed the door further open.

"Hey, little sis." Someone said and she froze. Suddenly she was feeling all sorts of things. Anger, joy, sadness, confusion. She turned her head, locking eyes on her sister as she stood beside a man she didn't recognise.

"Look what the cat dragged in." She breathed. "I was starting to think that you'd forgotten I existed. Just you, Wanda? I though Pietro would for sure be with you. After all we both know he favoured you over me." She said, sourly.

"Pietro is dead, Po." Wanda said, and it was almost like her heart stopped for a second. "But that's not why I'm here."

"Then what?" Poet asked. "And who the hell is this guy?"

"My name is Steve Rodgers." The man spoke. "I've heard a lot about you, Poet."

"All bad I hope." She sneered.

"I need your help to win a war." He continued.

"I'm fifteen. Why would I want to go to war, let alone with someone I don't know, and the sister that left me to rot in this crazy house, because I was too much of a burden on her?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm aware of your age, ma'am." He nodded. "And I can assure you I wouldn't ask if it wasn't necessary."

"Alright, let's say I do decide to help you... how do I know you won't just throw me back in here when you're done?" She breathed. "Trust me, I will do whatever it takes to get out of this hell hole, but it I'm just gonna go back to square one when it's all over, what's the point?"

"You have my word that you won't end up back in here." He said confidently. "In fact, your sister is only here to discharge you, and if you help me... well, I'd quite like to put you through school, provide you with accommodation, and you'll be kept under my protection."

"You're gonna put me through school?" She questioned and he nodded. "That's all I've ever wanted."

"I know." He smiled. She looked down for a moment, shifting from one foot to the other.

"You promise?" She asked, looking up, her lip quivering slightly.

"I promise."

"Okay." She said. "I'll help you. Who are we fighting?"

-----

It's safe to say, Poet was not expecting this. A split between the Avengers. She stood in awe of both teams. Team Iron Man - Black Panther, Vision, Black Widow, and War Machine and Team Captain America - Bucky Barnes, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, and Ant Man.

"Who the hell is this?" Iron Man demanded, pointing right at Poet.

"Who, me?" She wondered. "I'm Poet Maximoff, and if you keep pointing your finger at me, I'll rip them off."

"I like this kid." Barnes smirked.

"Much appreciated."

"All right, I've run out of patience. Underoos!" Iron Man yells, and a web shoots from out of nowhere., stealing Steve's shield and binding his hands. "Nice job, kid."

"Thanks. Well, I could've stuck the landing a little better. It's just the new suit… Well, it's nothing, Mr. Stark. It's--it's perfect. Thank you." The boy in red stuttered.

"Yeah, we don't really need to start a conversation."

"Okay. Cap . . . Captain. Big fan, I'm Spider-Man."

"And you're so cool." Poet said mindlessly. "I like your suit, Wonder Boy."

"It's Spider-Man."

"I prefer Wonder Boy." She smiled.

"You're nuts." He laughed slightly. "I'm gonna call you Crazy."

"I like it." She said turning to her sister. "Hey, where's my super cool suit?"

"Can you not?" Wanda scolded.

"Everyone else is wearing a suit, but whatever." She huffed.

"You've been busy." Steve commented, still staring down Stark.

"So have you." He returned. "Where did you pick her up from?" Steve turned towards her for a second, noticing she was still talking with the kid in red.

"Yo, Emerald!" He called and she turned. "You done?"

"Wh- yea. Sorry." She muttered.

"What's with the nickname?" Bucky whispered.

"Let's hope you don't have to find out."

"Are we doing this or what?" Natasha Romanof scoffed. As the fight suddenly commenced, Poet looked back to Spider-Man.

"Good luck, Wonder Boy."

-----WEEKS LATER-----

Poet smiled as she looked around her new apartment. Her new home. Her first real home. She was stunned. It was small, but it was cozy. And she didn't mind that it wasn't the best, because it was hers.

"What do you think?" Steve asked, watching her as she stood in silence. "I know it's not much, but-"

"It's perfect." She said. "It's the best thing I've ever seen, and I'm so very grateful." Poet smiled. "Thank you. I seriously can't ever thank you enough for what you've done for me."

"I kept my word." He smiled. "Get some sleep, you have school tomorrow, Emerald."

"I never did find out why you called me that."

"That's the colour of your powers." He said, before turning and walking out, shutting the door behind him. Poet, now she was alone, felt like she could let out a little squeal. She felt like a normal girl. Like a regular teenager. And, for the first time in her whole life, she felt safe. She felt happy. She felt... good. One word alone couldn't describe the way she felt. Tired, was a start though. And her plans included this: Shower, food, bed. And when she wakes up in the morning, she would start her new life as a high-school girl. And that thought excited her more than anything.