It Won't Happen Again, Mother

Kagami's POV

"It's me, mother"

"Did I hear you correctly over the phone? Did you really lose to an amateur?"

Great, why couldn't the miraculous ladybugs go just a little further back and erase that tidbit from my mother's memory.

"I lost based on the decision of a girl who had ulterior motives and a lack of understanding of the sport."

"Lack of understanding? Ulterior motives? What kind of half-wit was left to judge your match?"

"The boy I was fencing and I kept coming to a draw according to the machine. So we decided to go without and allow the instructor to act as referee. Once we were free from the restraints we made it a fair distance before we managed to land touches. Sadly it was away from the eyes of the instructor, the only one who saw it was a girl who had never fenced before. She had taken a while to decide, but it seemed to be out of nervousness rather than not seeing. The boy who I fenced believed I got the point, as did I. However, he and the inexperienced girl seemed to have some sort of relationship that clouded her judgment"

"So you are saying that you didn't actually lose? That this was all the fault of inexperience?"

"In a sense, yes. I know I have no right to ask this, after all a call is a call, but seeing as the true referee wasn't there to judge, is it not fair that I am given the chance to see if he is truly a better fencer?"

"I supposed you would want to know that considering what happened after your match"

"You heard about that?"

"The entirety of Paris heard of you embarrassing our family. Letting your petty emotions get the better of you. Acting irrationally. There are thousands of Parisians that have yet to be akumatized and it happened to you in just a few hours of us being here. I hadn't even gotten up to the hotel room before being notified that my child was the latest terrorizer of Paris"

*Mumbles under breath*

"You were the one to moved us the city with a supervillain that manipulates negative emotions"

"Yes, blame me for your temper tantrum that could cost your reputation."

"I'm sorry"

"Just do not let your emotions rear their ugly head again. We will be here a while. Provided you win your rematch"

"You're giving me a second chance?"

"Unless the circumstances you just told me are incorrect, then yes. I am giving you a second chance, just this once."

"Thank you, mother."

"You better not lose this time, Kagami. It's one thing to lose based on a bad call. It's another to lose because you truly aren't a good fighter."

"It won't happen again, Mother"

"I will accompany you to the rematch. You two will have to be put on the machine. I am not having a faulty call again. Now go to your room. It's the second door down"

"Yes mother"

That went better than I could have hoped. I know I implied to Adrien I would take him up on the rematch, but I had feared my mother would have taken us on the first flight out of the city before ever giving me another chance. I thought I would be spending these hours training, her critiquing everything I'm doing wrong.

Perhaps she took pity on the fact that I was akumatized so soon after being here. She may say it's an embarrassment but she does still have a heart (I think). Any parent would be concerned for the health of their child after something that traumatic.

If it weren't for Ladybug and Chat Noir I would have been a murderer. Of a very nice boy.

Adrien. There was something about the way he talked about Marinette.

'She's a really good friend'. I have a feeling there is something more going on there that he doesn't want to acknowledge.

And Marinette. She definitely is not meant to be a fencer. That's for sure. But besides that, I do think I would like to get to know her. For the very least to get to know the real reason she gave the point to Adrien.