The Contingency

"Expect the best, plan for the worst, and prepare to be surprised."

-Denis Waitley

Oliver was distracted and he knew in this moment he shouldn't be. He sat at a table covered with various small squares of cakes and he couldn't stop thinking about Prometheus. He still was no closer to discovering who this guy was who apparently knew more about Oliver than he would like.

"I like the chocolate one with the cookies." Katie said taking another bite of the cake. "Plus Robyn is a chocoholic and will just-" she lifted her eyes to Oliver who was staring off, obviously not listening. She knew he was upset that they hadn't made any headway with finding Prometheus and she hoped that bringing him with her to choose a cake for Robyn's birthday would distract him a bit from the dark stuff of their lives, but she doesn't think it's working.

Oliver must've realized that Katie was looking at him and he turned meeting her eyes before sitting up a bit. "I'm sorry, did you say something?" Katie looked at him for a moment before pointing down to the cake in front of her.

"I think Robyn will like this one, so I'm going to go ahead and put the order in." Katie stood to her feet. "You should go, see if the team has any news." she moved to walk over to the counter, but Oliver stood to his feet, catching her hand before she can get away. She let out another sigh before turning back to him. "Oliver, you wanted to help with the party."

"I do, I just-"

"You're distracted. You're not completely here and that doesn't help me. You obviously want to be somewhere else doing something else, so just go." she placed a kiss to his cheek. "I will see you at home." she made to pull away again, but Oliver didn't relinquish his grasp.

"No, I want to be here with you, picking out a cake for our daughter." his hands slid around her waist. "I'm sorry." Katie looked at him for a moment before shaking her head. He turned and looked back down to the table of cakes. "And I actually liked the red velvet one." he turned back to Katie who held a glare. "What? we both have to agree, that was the deal." Katie pulled out of his grasp and swat his arm before walking back around to the table, grabbing the fork in the slice of red velvet cake. She took a bite and Oliver watched her waiting for her opinion. "So, what do you think?" she looked at him and sighed.

"We need an intermediary." she pulled her phone from her pocket. "I thought Thea was coming."

"She probably got held up at City hall." Oliver walked over and picked up the fork to taste the chocolate cake. Katie looked over to him with a raised brow and he looked over to her and sighed. "Yeah, we need someone here to tell you that my choice is better."

"Yeah, but all of our friends are busy with lives and don't have time to settle our marital squabbles." Katie said looking through her phone before turning back to Oliver. "We can settle this like adults." Oliver looked at her for a moment and just shook his head. "Or you can just side with me because my option is better. You and I know I have better taste."

"Says the woman who can barely cook." Oliver said and Katie's eyes widen and she went to hit him again, but he moved away.

"I cook! Plus this should be my choice anyway."

"And why is that?"

Well I'm the mom."

"And I'm the dad, I don't see how that makes your opinion better than mine."

"Well you didn't spend hours in labor, and a human being wasn't torn from your body. I think that gives me a little bit more parental decision making power." she said folding her arms over her chest and Oliver just shook his head.