Crossing the Line

"Sometimes you just have to have faith. Sometimes you have to leap first to see if your parachute will open."

-Sonali Dev

Robyn Maisie Queen's short dark curls were a total mess over her head. Katie smiled as the girl attempted to push her hair from her face before she continued playing with her blocks. Her morning started early as she awakened from another nightmare that seemed to play her years of torture she wished she could forget. She decided to give up on sleep and when she peeked inside of Robyn's room, she found the other early bird in the house. So after a quick diaper change, a bottle and some cereal, Katie now found herself down in the den in a section off to the side that seemed to be made specifically for the little girl. In that corner was a toy chest filled with toys that Robyn crawled to immediately the moment Katie sat her down.

Katie's eyes lit up as she watched Robyn pulled herself up to her feet, reaching inside her toy chest and grabbed the handle of a box that was filled with her blocks. Katie sat on the floor, watching her, totally mesmerized by the tiny human. Katie couldn't help studying the girl, watching as she played and smiled as she stacked the blocks on top of each other before knocking them down and doing it all over again. She didn't hear the footsteps behind her, but she did turn when she felt someone now sitting beside her. She turned to see Oliver, who looked like he'd just woken up as he sat in his tshirt and pajama pants.

"You two are up early." he glanced over to Robyn with a smile as she turned and crawled over to the toy chest.

"Yeah, I didn't get much sleep and gave up after a while, so I decided to check in on her and found her awake as well." Katie smiled as she watched Robyn as she held onto the side of the toy chest while she moved around to search inside. A clear sign that they should probably be expecting a walking baby soon.

"Bad dreams?" Katie frowned a bit as she turned to him and gave him a nod. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not particularly. It's just stuff I wish I couldn't remember," she turned back to Robyn to see the girl now holding a stuffed purple bear that sang the alphabet when she chewed on his ear. Oliver's eyes studied his wife as she watched their daughter and he smiled. "You know the last memory I have of her, she didn't have any teeth." Katie chuckled as she watched Robyn crawling back over to her blocks, her teddy bear still gripped tightly in her hands. "Her hair wasn't even an inch long and she couldn't crawl." Katie felt emotion rising up in her throat and so she dropped her head.

"Hey-"

"Five months Oliver," she looked over to the man. "Five months I missed. I missed her first words. I missed the first time she crawled." she turned back to Robyn who was once again stacking the blocks. "I missed the moment she began to hold her own bottle. I missed solid foods." she felt a tear escape her eye before Oliver's arm snaked around her, pulling her closer to his body. "I missed so much." she rose her eyes to him. "Moments I can never get back."

"But there are so many more that you will be there for." Oliver replied placing a hand on her cheek. He was there for each moment and each moment filled him with happiness, and yet they never felt complete. He always wished she was there. She was supposed to be there. "Twinkie, you can't make up for lost time, but you can make the most of the time you share with her now and she will love you all the more for it." Katie's eyes looked up to Oliver, finding herself being pulled into an emotion she didn't think she could pull herself out of. It's why she rose her own hand and placed it on the side of his face. There was something about this moment...something she thinks she's been waiting to feel. And so she lifts herself a bit, her lips needing to touch his, and he cranes his neck, bending forward to meet her half way.