Chapter 1.

Stories never really start at the beginning, but at a turning point. For me, this turning point has already started three months ago when I got the letter of a lifetime this past summer. As I wait at my village's train station, I can't help but take it out of my pocket and read it again. This is probably my one hundredth time doing this.

Dear Adrien Rivers,

We, the council of the Knight's Academy are proud to inform you that you are accepted into the Knight's Academy. We'll be sending you your acceptance package and instructions in two weeks. We're looking forward to having you join your brother-flight on our campus this upcoming fall semester.

Congratulations and good luck.

Sincerely,

The Knight Council of the Knight's Academy.

Just as I start at the top again, a voice I've been waiting to hear signals me that it's time to put it away.

"Adrien! Wait!" Kai, my best friend calls my name.

I halt and smile at him as I adjust the bag strap over my shoulder. All I can do is wait and watch him maneuver his way through the crowd. His bag bounces at his hip as he tries to keep it from hitting other travelers. A trail of 'pardon me', 'excuse me' and 'coming through' echoes behind him as he finally makes it to the platform.

Just like for most of the friends we know, last Falling Season Kai and I earned ourselves an undergrad degree at the expected age of twenty-two. The difference is, we don't want to be like everyone we know. We want to be like the ones we love - our parents. Like my mother and father, his parents were once active knights too. They have retired from their duty years ago and now it's our time to take on those roles.

As exciting this all is, I'm also very nervous; waiting to be taken away into the outskirts of The Capital, the center of the United Domains is nerve-racking and having my best friend alongside me will make this change easier. In a sea of same-uniformed strangers, Kai is a life saver.

"Ready?" I nudge him.

"Ready," he nods, but he isn't speaking to me. Kai's blue eyes are fixed on a dream ahead.

The train must have heard us. It whistles, announcing its arrival. The machine huffs in relief as its speed dials down. Its iron joints scream under the squeezing pressure of the breaks. The metal monster exhales a breath of exhaust as it happily obeys an engineer's command to stop, ever so smoothly. The machine is honored to undertake this journey and make the pickup for Knight's Academy precious cargo.

With curiosity, Kai and I watch the station workers rush to cure the tired joints with oil and bring buckets of water to help cool down the monster's core.

The conductors do not lose any time. They have a lot of cadets to board. "Calling all Academy cadets! Come aboard! Thirty minutes till departure to the Knight's Academy!"

"Come on, gentlemen. Get on moving," one of the train employees encourages us.

"Let's do this," my hand reaches for the rail and pulls the weight of my body to climb up the steep stairs.

"Alright!" Kai's pumped up.

I think the uniform is starting to get to his head. The distinct black, white, and gold colors are unmistakable. This pattern and cut spells out to the whole world who we all are destined to become.