Chapter 29

Just as they promised, the High Court had a ruling ready for my case. Their reply by letter is in my favor and this will let the real work begin. The plans and funds will be released next month and the newspapers are not keeping this a secret, but that's not all that they say.

My breakfast begins to turn at the mention of the Red revolutionaries alongside with my name and the reputation of the Knight's Academy. I don't understand. This is supposed to be about brining hope and letting the people know that at last, help is on its way. It's supposed to let people know that the knights will not stand by and do nothing as everyone around them suffers and dies.

Instead, somehow Lada's name gets leaked and her very active involvement with Red is detailed. It says that Knight's Academy allowed Adrien Rivers, their cadet to represent her plea in court and that the ruling is a real victory for her and her followers.

This isn't right. Her name and background are supposed to remain anonymous and my whole class is supposed to get the credit for the favorable final ruling. All of other cases that my classmates took are granted the usual description, except for mine. It sticks out like a splinter and I have no idea how to operate on it.

It's a no surprise when the director sends for me and I wonder what took her so long.

"This way," her assistant knocks before opening the doors to a grand office. "Madam Svetochka, this is the cadet you've asked to see."

These quarters are big enough to be an apartment for an entire family, instead it houses shelves and shelves of books. The two walls on each side of me are lined with thousands of titles on hard cover spines just as the floor is covered with expensive imported rugs. Sheer curtains soften the bright morning light coming through the windows on the wall across from me. That's where I spot the master of the office standing tall.

"Thank you," the director is facing away from me as she takes a steel vessel out of an ice bucket. "Leave us."

I never knew that watching someone mix a cube of sugar into a drink could be so torturous. But just like the elves, vampires are always surrounded by that aura of mysterious superiority.

"Madam Svetochka, Cadet Rivers reporting," I don't know why I introduce myself, knowing very well that she sent for me. It's a habit, that developed into something deeper over the school year.

While taking the first sip from a white china, she's careful not to spill any chilled blood on her uniform as she turns around. Her skin is just as pale as the faces on the marble decor and only the early sun's rays give her any rosy color of life.

"Please, sit," her sharp nail points at a chair across from her wide Cherrywood desk.

"Thank you," I follow her direction and anxiously wait for the next one.

"Have you read the paper this morning, cadet?" She slicks back her already perfectly smooth black hair twisted into a bun. "Do you know why I've called you to my office?"

"Yes, Madam Svetochka, I do know why I'm here."

"This isn't how this was supposed to turn out. No one saw this coming. Somehow the names have been leaked and we don't know who are the paper's informants, but they will be fined for breaking the protection protocol. Still, the word is out and no fine will stop everyone from knowing."

"I'm sorry. I had no idea that my case would be treated so differently by the press."

"We have to be even more careful. All eyes are on us and we, knights have to proceed very cautiously in the future. Still, we've got to be quick about this, before this turns into a blood bath," her wine-red eyes bear no bitter tones.