Chapter 25

I've got to admit that Flight Class is still my favorite by far. It was my favorite last semester and I don't see this preference changing any time. After all, what a thrill! Still, what horror!

September doesn't blink an eye. All of the dragons seem to enjoy it and our flight instructor wishes that of her students would share the same enthusiasm about the maneuvers.

Madam Feyer is clearly feed up with what's left of our insecurities and fear, and promised to come up with a lesson that would break that barrier. Today is the day and the look on her face says it all. Her sly smile and brewing eyes tell that she knows where eureka is.

To find it, she leads our team into the perytons' territory and has us land on the clouds where this pheasant-winged deer like to graze. I'm pleasantly surprised to have our class take place in this sky country of cotton-candy clouds. The rosy crystals crunch under our weight and the trees bloom with sweet dreams. For fun, we stick out our tongues to catch the floating pollen and have the icy treats melt down our throats. In the pastel safety of the clouds high above us, I'm happy to spot a herd of perytons stare down at us. Their beady black eyes challenge me to a staring contest and their tails periodically signal others to keep up with the watch.

As beautiful as this natural setting is, I dare to look at the unsettling side of it just over the edge. As far as the eye can see, the familiarities of world have grown into complete strangers. Anything that made anything unique and distinguished melted into an unformed eternity of boarders and curves. But, we've been higher than this and there still enough oxygen to keep my breathing comfortable. Clearly, she wants us sober and aware for this lesson.

"If this doesn't work, then I don't know what will!" Madam Feyer's thunderous yell ends our day-dreaming.

Our instructor is only half a step away from a plunging death, but she keeps full balance and stands tall without flinching a muscle. Just looking at her send shivers down my spine. There is no saddle with a dragon underneath her or a parachute pack on her back. It's just her. Her dragon doesn't seem to mind it and keeps licking the fluffy leaves.

"I am so fucking sick of your lack of confidence! I'm so sick of you always doubting! Every time we fly, you overcorrect your dragons and hold back on the maneuvers! You need to let it all go. You and your dragon are a team. This is not just you! Let your dragons do what they need to do! You need to trust them, they've been flying for a lot longer than any of you!" Her dark eyes are turbulent and flicker with lightning.

"Yes, Ma'am!" we agree, but this is not the first time we heard this sermon. These speeches are not enough to push us to do what she wants us to learn to do.

"Are you all familiar with the trust-fall exercise!?"

"Yes, Ma'am!" I answer with the rest.

"Good! Let's turn it up a notch! You're going to need your armor on, so make sure to activate it quickly. Otherwise, the air friction will tear your skin off," her inner storm is calming and the hue of her iris lightens.

With her armor fully activated, she walks all that's left of the edge until there isn't enough cloud to hold another step. She looks down, then back at her class. With a wink, Madam Feyer salutes us and takes the deathly dive. The dragon sees her rider quickly melt away into the depth of the sky, but yawns and continues to eat the vegetarian of the crystalized trees. Only a gasp from the entire class recognizes her sudden exit.

In complete disbelief I look into September's eyes for assurance, but she only smirks. Her eyes motion me to commit the same insanity.

Our instructions for the lesson are given and they're quite simple, and at the same time they're not. Today, our teacher isn't asking us to perform a new maneuver, but a leap of faith.