Chapter 23

The scent of salt in the air is growing stronger and stronger with each mile that my galloping horse leaves behind us. It's the middle of the day already when I reach the source of that aroma and its whispering shores put an end to the flowing green hills. The end of the earth brings the beginning of the sea, the perfect place to meet anyone halfway. As I ride closer, I keep hoping that there are still traders willing to meet me and my family's orchard half way.

It's so strange to be coming here empty handed and it becomes even stranger as I pass by other providers with a trail of carts following behind them. The train has already come and I watch crates get unloaded and carried away to the ships so that the product may continue its journey across the water.

All of the sails are still down, the docks are still laid out and there are many hauling ropes still untied; I'm not too late. In the midst of the flowing goods being exchanged, I spot our partners' ships. The Capitol traders linger close by, keeping track of what goes in and what leaves. Each move is being checked off on their list and I've got to convince them to keep our roses on it.

"Mr. Arlof!" I wave one of them down from the docks.

If I can convince him, the rest tend to follow. He's one of the longest practicing traders from Petograd and have been trading with my family since the beginning of his career. Our family's roses have been passed down into his hands from my grandfather, then my father, and I pray the line doesn't end with me.

"Adrien! What are you doing here? I though you're at the Academy!"

"My mother isn't well, so I'm here. I have a few days of emergency leave and trying to help with what I can."

"I heard. I'm so sorry about what happened to Marina. I pray she'll get well again."

"She's getting back her consciousness, so that brings us hope."

"What I meant by what I said earlier is that I though your father will be coming to see us. I had no idea that I would be seeing you."

"Neither did I. This is quite a surprise for me as well."

"I'm sorry Adrien, but I've got to keep my business and my family first in mind."

"I understand that more than you think, my family depends on this just as much as yours."

"I'm sorry, but I'll have to close my rose account. I still want to by your groundhog's lilies though."

"Then I trust to get your order for lilies by the end of the month as usual?"

"Yes, of course."

"But no roses?"

"I'm afraid that account I'll have to close. I'll have the rest of payments all paid by end of this week and that will be it."

"May I ask why you suddenly don't want to buy roses from us?"

"It just won't work anymore."

"Did you find a better deal? I sure that I can find a way to beat it."

"I wouldn't buy red roses from anyone else, only from you. Yours are the best and there is no better deal being offered for the quality."

"I'm not sure I understand. There must be a reason. Does the high society no longer like their rose jams and tea?"

"Oh, no. They still like their rose, just not red. Not anymore."

"What are you saying?" I'm getting the hint, but need him to say it.