Chapter 11

It's Visiting Day and my parents are coming to see me. They could stay away only for so long, but I don't mind. I don't mind at all. As busy as I am, missing them is unavoidable. Besides, in the letter they said they want to take me out to dinner. A real dinner of gourmet cooking done by qualified chefs and my time at the table won't be timed. Thank goodness, because it will take a lot longer than fifteen minutes to cover a full meal, parents' nosy questions, and a fluffy chocolate dessert. Endless garlic bread and noodles, come to papa!

Thankfully, they spare me the embarrassment of picking me up at the campus grounds and ask me to meet them at The Pasta House. The hostess sees me enter and escorts me to my parents.

My mother, a goldilocks lady in a pastel colored dress really stands out from the rest of feminine crowd layered in dark silk and diamonds. She barely contains her energy and urge to pitch my cheeks in public and somehow musters the strength to only hug me. My father, in pressed slacks and in his button-down shirt accessorized only with his favorite platinum cufflinks stands up and waits for bouncy Mrs. Rivers to be done squeezing me. He embraces me too, but in a much more settle way.

"So, how's the Academy life treating you? Are you studying for your exams enough?" my father goes right for the throat.

"Oh, I'm sure he is, Leo. The most important topic is does he have a girl?" my mother nudges him.

"I'm not having this conversation with you, Mom."

"Kai's mother told me that he wrote about falling in love with one of his classmates. I read the letter myself and from what I gather, that girl is just modest and playing hard to get."

"Is that so?" I look up from my plate.

"I know for a fact that there must be a girl that interests you, too. When are we going to meet her?"

"At my wedding tomorrow. Didn't you get the invite?" this opportunity to tease her is too good to pass up.

"See Marina, your dream is finally coming true," my father hides his smirk behind the glass of cognac.

"No, Mom. I don't have a girlfriend. I have been dating this one particular girl, but I'm putting my studies first."

"Just as you should," he digs into his plate of spaghetti smothered in peppery white sauce.

"I do want to ask you something," I start cutting the meatballs.

"Anything," mom smiles.

"How many night raids did you guys have on the weekends when you went to the Academy?"

"None, honey."

"Hmmm, must be a new thing they do now," I try to down play it.

Worrying about me is the last thing I want them to do. But by the look in their faces when they exchanged glances at each other, let me know that they are more caught up with current events than I hoped.

"Adrien, your mother and I think that it would be best if you took a break when this semester ends."

"You mean quit. In the middle of the program?"

"No, just take a break. Until things calm down around here."

"Mom, I know you are worried but the Academy is taking all the precautions. Speaking of that, we now have early curfews everyday."

"And do you know why?" my father starts to whisper."You've been raised in the country and now are sheltered behind the Academy's walls. The reason why the cadets have such early curfews now is, because of all the unrest going on in the city at nights."

"What do you mean? Are you talking about the protests? It's just people voicing their concern. There is no harm in that."

"They don't tell you everything, Adrien," my mother unclip her wallet.

Cautiously, she hides her secret under the white purity of her napkin.

Why do I feel like I'm in a middle of criminal negotiations? I take the hint of the situation and discreetly take a look at the newspaper cutout. On it, I read that a midnight protest took place last week. There was a fire set to some accountants' offices, but no deaths or injuries.

"No one got hurt," I say.

"Not yet. But someday someone will be. Someone from whichever side of the fence will make a mistake. A dire mistake and it's only a matter of time when," it's amazing how she never fails to assume the worst.

"Everyone is just trying to make their own point."

"Their point. Your life," my father still keeps his voice low.

"Home is where you'll be safe. Just think about your options," my mother begs.

"I'll think about it, but we're really out to get going. I have to be back by eight."

"It's dark outside. We'll give you a ride back in our carriage," she insists.

"Okay. Thank you."

My parents pay the check and with our leftovers at hand we head back to the campus.

"Did you bring me any garlic bread?" Kai peaks into my room.

"Of course. Here you go," I hand him a white box with grease stains.

"Ooooh," the warm garlic smell teases his late evening cravings. "Thanks!"

"How are your parents?" even with his mouthful of greasy bread, I manage to understand him.

"Worried."

"About what?"

"There has been a lot of protests lately in the city. They are worried that the cadets will soon become a target of retaliation against the kings."

"Yeah, my parents said the same. Did they ask you to come home?"

"Yeah," I sit on my bed.

"Mine too," he sits next to me and offers some of the bread.

Even though I'm still stuffed with pasta, it is impossible to turn down a freshly toasted garlic bread...ever.

I chew my thoughts on it, "I know their neighbors, but our parents need to stop talking to each other so much."

"I know. I wonder what's all the fuss is about," Kai says, but then he gets the maddest idea. I don't know what possessed him. "How about we sneak out tonight and find out for ourselves."

"You mean partake in a protest?" I nearly choke.

"Of course not. As knights we are not allowed to voice our political views in public. We can still go and just watch."

"We still could get in trouble."

"Who's to know? We won't be wearing our uniforms," he spreads his arms showcasing the civilian clothing.

"But..."

"No one knows us in the city. There is no one to recognize us."

"Really? This is what you want to do? This is your idea of fun?"

"If you don't go, then you'll have to report me."

"I'm not reporting you, but I'm not going either."

"What if something does happen? What if something happens to me?" Kai's puppy eyes try to guilt trip me.

"Then I'll bury you next to the dust-bunnies," I shrug them off.

"Well, it was nice knowing you. But you'll have to finish the outlines on your own then," very cooly, he goes to open the window.

"You're not kidding," without any hesitation in his decision, I watch him step up to the window sill.

Wiping the oil of his lips, Kai winks at me and steps out of sight. I can't let him do this all alone without knowing that he'll be okay. He's crazy, but I must be even crazier:I follow him into his insane plan.