Chapter 24

There wasn't much we could do, but cash out some of the bonds to make up for the loss. Mother is doing much better and is expected to make full recovery; however, doctor's orders will not allow her back to volunteer at the hospital. I can tell she's pissed, but maintained her calm professionalism while trying to convince the doctor otherwise. He doesn't budge, no matter what precautions she promises to make. Secretly, I glad. Still, it's sad. Defeated, she comes home and stays home.

No matter how much I insist on staying a little bit longer to help push thought this aftershock, my parents do not like it, not one little bit. A couple more days of leave woudn't hurt, but they only see it as just another defeat knocking at their door. This one they will not accept and make sure to see me off at the station.

"What's done is done. All we can do is get back up, brush off the dust, collect our dignity and keep going. It doesn't have to be hit the ground running. This will be slow and painful, but we can't stop. We can't stop moving ahead," treating it as a family secret, my mother keeps those words of wisdom just between me and her.

She's right. We got to keep going, and keep it going forward. Their forward is here and my forward is to get on that train.

"We'll be alright, Adrien," my father squeezes my shoulder.

"I love you, guys," I give my farewell and board the train back to the Academy.

I hope. I pray. No, I insist that things will get better for them.

"You're back right on time," Nina jumps up with excitement in my doorframe.

"I wouldn't want to miss it for the world," but I have no clue what she's talking about.

"How are you parents? I'm so sorry about what happened," Kai stares at her in disbelief.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Adrien," she clasps her mouth.

"They'll be okay. My mother is feeling much better," I fake a smile.

"I'm so glad to hear that," Nina is a bit embarrassed.

"So, what is it that I'm right on time for?" I let the bag strap slip of my shoulder and drop on my bed.

"Petograd's Melting Day Festival. It's tonight. So, get read," with complete trust in the chair behind him, Kai flops in.

"I can't. I'm not in a mood for any kind of festivities tonight," it would seem this truth will be obvious to anyone.

"That's too bad, because you don't have a choice. None of us do."

His word games begin to irritate me,"Kai, just tell me what going on. Sometimes talking to you is like pulling teeth with a knife."

"We've been called to help with the festival. Our class has been assigned to volunteer as security watchers on the grounds."

"Assigned to volunteer?" I laugh at the ironic contradiction.

"Yes. Assigned as in being ordered. Volunteer as in give our services for free," he explained his logic to be very on point.

"I thought that's what the Royal Guard is for," I tease.

"We all know how they handled protests in the past strained their public relations. I think our presence might help the civilians feel more at ease."