Hands

Peter flew around the clearing, the brightest smile on his face.

“I’m back! And I have news. I know what happened to Cinderella! She defeated the pirates. There was stabbing, slicing, torture, bleeding! And they lived happily ever after” he exclaimed

“Well… that’s a relief I must say” Slightly broke the awkward silence

All the boys chimed in agreement.

“Greater news! I have brought you they, that told of Cinderella, they are to tell us stories, they are-”

Peter stopped himself as he flew to the ground and the boys cleared their wall, revealing the shot Wendy.

“Dead” 

“What!?” Maggie exclaimed, darting forwards and shoving through the boys.

She collapsed beside her younger sister, her eyes instantly pricking with tears as she holds her dead sister's hand in hers. This is horrifying, she was so young, Maggie had failed to protect her. Peter bent down beside the crying girl, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and holding her close to his side.

“Tragic”

“Awful”

“Good shot though”

Peter took the arrow out of Wendy, his face sank into one of anger.

“Who’s arrow?” he growled

For a moment no one spoke up, they all simply looked at Tootles, who had the guiltiest look on his face. 

“Mine Peter” Tootles said regretfully as he took his hat off. He knelt down, pulling his shirt collar down “Strike Peter, strike true”

Peter lifted the arrow, Maggie was too distracted by her sister otherwise she would have protested against it. Just then the most miraculous thing happened. Wendy Groaned softly, her lung refilling with air, still unconscious, but very much alive.

“Peter stop!” Maggie exclaimed, relief rushing over her

“The Wendy lives!”

A loud stretch rang through the forest, it was a very upset Tinkerbelle. Maggie undid a button on her sisters nightgown to reveal, the necklace she had made Wendy, with a small hole in it.

“It’s the necklace… I-I made it for Wendy when she was little. It saved her!” Maggie exclaimed, wiping the tears from her face.

Her sister was alive, she was so grateful. Maggie hadn’t noticed, but when she leaned over, the kiss Peter had given her earlier hung down out of her night dress, and Slightly spotted it.

“Is that, is that a kiss?” Slightly asked

Maggie's cheeks tinted a slightly reddish color as she nodded. 

“Let us carry the Wendy girl down to the house” Slightly suggested

“Hands” Peter ordered.

All the boys brought their hands out, they were extremely dirty.

“They’re a bit dirty” Nibs cringed, Maggie could’ve laughed at the thought of those muddy fingers being just a bit dirty.

“She must stay here and die” Slightly bellowed

“No!” Maggie whipped her head around shouting angrily

“Oh- how could I have thought- stupid” Slightly mumbled awkwardly “Sorry”

Maggie and the boys sat in silence for a moment before Peter got an idea. He beckoned everyone closer in their huddle, until everyone's heads were touching.

“She shall build a house around her”

All the boys erupted in agreement, so did Maggie. Peter started to bark out different parts they would need as the boys all ran off

“… And windows!” he finished, making Maggie smile.

Maggie and Peter bent down to peer as the poor sleeping girl. Maggie yawned, she did not notice how long it had been since she slept.

“You should get some rest as well Maggie” Peter reminded her “Sleep with your sister, I’ll make sure you’re safe”

“How very honorous of you” she giggled as she laid down beside her little sister, cuddling into her side, finding sleep to be a good idea. As Maggie started to drift off she could hear the rustling of the leaves in the woods as the young lost boys ran through them.

“I’ll keep you safe Maggie”

She heard Peter whisper before she finally drifted off. She slept peacefully, knowing that Peter would stay to protect her, and that no harm would even dare come to her as long as he was around. She felt safe with Peter Pan.

<><>

No less than a few hours later, Maggie awoke to find the sun had died down, though it wasn’t the sun that had fallen at all, it was the roof that lay over the heads of her and her sister, who was still sleeping soundly. Maggie smiled softly, looking around at the beautifully built tiny cottage that lay over her. She shook her sister softly, the younger of the two slowly waking up.

“Wendy, Wendy wake up”

Wendy groaned, blinking open her tired eyes, looking at the small hut rather surprised. The two girls heard sudden rustling outside. Both girls looked out the small windows, seeing little people running around. Maggie chuckled softly, knowing it was the lost boys. They heard muttering voices as they stood up and walked towards the front door. Maggie slowly pulled it back, to find all the Lost boys set up in a, somewhat messy formation, all lowering their hats in hopes to be polite.

“Wendy lady, and Maggie” Slightly began his speech “for you we have built this house, with a door knocker”

“And a chimney” Tottles added

Slightly began to count at a whisper before each boy fell to their knees.

“Please be our mothers!” they all chorused

Both girls stood in shock. Wendy more so than Maggie, though Maggie wasn’t sure how to process it. She had always acted as somewhat of a mother to her siblings, but she’d never thought of it like this before.

“Oh… Well, it is frightfully fascinating, but I fear I’m too young to be your mothers, Maggie?” Wendy was the first to speak, instantly offering her position to Maggie

Maggie stood in even more shock than before, now that all the small, rather adorable young boys all stared up at her with pleading eyes.

“I-... Well I don’t have a lot of experience” the girl stuttered nervously

“Do you tell stories?” one of the twins asked

“Yes” she nodded

“Only the bestest of stories” Wendy chimed in, nudging her older sister.

“Then you’re perfect” Curly affirmed

Maggie sighed, looking down at all the young boys. They looked rather sweet, and if Maggie could handle Michael at bathtime, what couldn’t she do.

“Very well. I will do my best” she nodded with a smile

All the boys shot up in excitement, each boy jumping forwards to pull Maggie and Wendy into a hug, before the next thing they knew each girl was being blindfolded as whisked away through the woods.

~*~*~*~*~*~