One Upon A Time

The sun shone high in the sky over the great lake of Neverland. All the children bound tight in a group on the deck of the Jolly Roger. Thunder crashed though there was no lightning, as the fate of them all hung low and heavy.

Hook had tried to poison Peter when the children had been taken away. However, thanks to Tinkerbelle’s brilliant escape, she was able to race back to the hideout and stop Peter before he could drink any, but at the cost of her own life.

As Tink’s light slowly went out, Peter watched his first and best friend fade in front of his very eyes. Peter had never felt so empty. He had lost the only human he ever really loved, and now he was losing his best friend. Peter felt dull and hopeless. He felt dead himself.

Clouds started to fall over Neverland, it’s life force at his breaking point. As Peter begged for Tinkerbelle to come back to him the air in Neverland grew cold, and Hook’s crew cheered with the greatest of triumphs. Maggie stood tied up to the mast, watching as the sky grew dark and angry, and the waves blasted against the side of the ship.

“There’s still room, for a storyteller” Hook grinned at Wendy, who sat alongside the other boys.

“Get away from her!” Maggie screamed

“I'd rather die” Wendy spat.

“Cap’n! Cap’n!” Smee barked “Look at the sky! And look at the water”

Hook did so, seeing what was previously described.  His heart raced with malicious joy, the feeling rising tenfold as the pained wailes of Peter Pan echoed around all of Neverland. Everyone grew silent and scared. Maggie screwed her eyes shut in fear, wishing this was all a dream and that she would just wake up and it would all be over. But it was oh so real.

“Pan, must be dead!” Smee squealed with joy

All the boys shouted out ‘No!’s at each other and the crew, unable to believe their fearsome leader was gone. Maggie begged quietly, shaking her head in denial. She wouldn’t believe he could be dead. He couldn’t die.

Suddenly slow started to fall from the sky, a tell tale sign that Peter’s light keeping Neverland in swing, was nowhere near.

“Ships company!” Hook shouted, turning to his crew “Hats off” they all obeyed “A moment's silence, for our fallen enemy, Peter Pan” they all lowered their heads “We sail at dawn!” Hook cheered, the rest of the crew following after.

The pirates all cheered and laughed while the Lost boys and Darling children all protested their celebration. Maggie’s heart screamed, it cried out for Peter, but Peter was gone. Or so they all thought.

Peter laid hunched over top of his fallen friend. Pained sobs falling from his lips as he muttered desperately under his breath. Anything he could think of to bring her back, he had to try.

“... I do, I do…. Believe in fairies, I do. I do. I do believe in fairies. I do I do” Peter turned his head towards the sky, his voice horse from tears but still he called out “I do believe in fairies! I do I do!”

Maggie gasped as the thunder roared louder, cracking through the cloud shining bright pink light for the smallest of seconds.

“I do believe in fairies! I do I do!” Peter’s voice was no short of a beg.

“I do believe in fairies,” Maggie whispered, catching the attention of, well… everyone.

“You what?” John questioned

“I do believe in fairies!” She shouted

Everyone stared in confusion. But Peter’s call was too loud to ignore. It spread everywhere, to everyone.