Chapter 5 -- Summer Memory Archives

Caroline spent most of the remaining summer with Enzo and they even got together. When she wasn't with him she was spending time with Bonnie and checking up on Elena and her brother. Truthfully the main reason she would take baked goods she made to the Gilbert household was because she wanted to get to know Jenna and check up on Jeremy. She knew that Elena was grieving but she did take it out on Jeremy sometimes verbally which wasn't fair.

---Visit to the Gilbert household---

Caroline knocked on the door holding a tub that contained some cookies she had made that she thought the Gilbert family would like. Jenna opened the door and smiled a small smile to Caroline.
"Are you okay Aunt Jenna? You seem stressed." Caroline asked concerned.
"Thanks Caroline, I'm good. Why are you here? Not that I'm not happy to see you." Jenna said quickly. Caroline flicks her hair as if to say of course with a smile.
"I baked some cookies and I thought you guys would appreciate some." After she said that she held the tub up and shake it a little. Jenna seemed a little out of it so Caroline walked in closed the door and took Jenna to sit down.

Caroline put the tub in the kitchen and got Jenna some water. She sat down next the the tired young woman and gave her the mug. She chose a mug so Jenna was less likely to drop it out of tiredness. She put a hand on Jenna's knee and squeezed it comfortingly.
"What's wrong Jenna?" Caroline asked.
"I've been trying to study, keep track of when Elena goes to visit her parents (which she's doing right now) and keep an eye on Jeremy." Jenna said sadly.
"Where is Jeremy?"
"In his room I think."
"I'll go check in him Jenna don't worry." Jenna just nodded.

Caroline went to Jeremy's room and knocked.
"Go away Aunt Jenna or Elena. Whoever it is." said the young 14 year old.
"Jeremy it's Caroline. Can I come in please?" She asked gently.
"Caroline? What are you doing here?"
"Let me in and I'll say."
"It's not locked..."
"I know but I'm not just going to invade your space."
After a pause she heard a faint come in. Caroline came in and saw Jeremy laid down facing away from the door.

"Jeremy, can I sit here?" She got a small yes in response and she sat on the edge of his bed rubbing circles on his back to comfort the mourning teen. Jeremy let out a calm sigh.
"How long have you been in bed honey? And I don't include getting a snack or going to the toilet and coming back as getting up." Caroline specified for him.
"3 weeks. I just can't get out of bed unless I need to." Caroline looked around at the young boys depression bedroom. No young person should have to feel like this she thought sorrowfully.

Jeremy finally turned to face her and held her hand with both of his. He was in the fetal position semi surrounding Caroline.
"When was the last time you showered honey?" She asked him softly and kindly so he wouldn't feel interrogated like Elena usually does.
"The same amount of time." He replied quietly not wanted to be judged.

"That's okay darling. Would you be able to if I help motivate you?" she asks giving him a choice without judgement. He looks up slightly.
"Maybe." He replied. Caroline stood up and offered to help him up which he took. He was now sat on the bed instead of lying down.

Caroline went to his dresser and took out sweatpants, a comfy shirt, a baggy jumper and a pair of warm socks. She then grabbed a towel and went to the bathroom. She then came back and held Jeremy's hand and softly guided him to the bathroom.

"Is this your toothbrush?" She asked holding up an orange toothbrush. Jeremy nodded confused. Caroline soaked a face towel and lathered it with some soap. Then she grabbed the shower gel, shampoo and conditioner and out everything accessible from the shower.
"Jeremy. I'm going to give you a good tip. Wash your hair, body, face and teeth in the shower altogether to make it less work. It'll help you make sure it's all done okay?" Jeremy just nodded at what she said.
"Do you still want to try?" She asked calmly at his level.
"Yeah I'll have one now."
"Cool I'll leave you to it then hun. I'll still be here when you finish." Jeremy nodded in response and Caroline left.