Chapter 9

"... I see. So that's how it is." Shirou lets his arm drop to his side all the while he closes his eyes. "Hmm. Yes. I suppose that is just of her to help even without me wanting her help. Though she struggles to say she wants to help and she puts on the fake facade of being serious and cold. She was always simple-minded and selfish..." Shirou says. He then looks at Artoria and frowns.

"What I wish to know is how she has come to terms and knew about what my fate has led me to. I've made sure to never show any speculation of sorts."

"Her mentor was the one who helped her and told her about what truly happened to you. And... Your death." Artoria says with a pause.

"Hmph... The meddling Rin Tohsaka. Trying to make up for her amends. Not realizing she was but too late and can not afford a second chance. And yet despite knowing that it's all too late to change anything or prevent anything. She still didn't give up..." Shirou can only say with a small mutter. "Sounds to me she's matured since the last time I've talked to her. But how long ago was that? Even I cannot recall anymore." Shirou says.

"You cannot recall... You don't mean... You've lost your memories have you?!"

"If you heard about my fate as a Guardian. Then you should know that time works differently. For example, existing outside of space and time with no real concept of time itself. It is to say how much time has truly passed between my life as a Guardian and the very world I died in?" Shirou asked.

"Then that would mean there's no true meaning of how much you've been gone in the world and how much time it's been for you. You're saying time works far different and that for example, a year for you can be a few days on the earth. Or per se, it can be even more." Artoria says.

"Correct... But to be truthful with you... It's hard to say how time truly passes in the Counter Force." Shirou says. "I've lost count long ago about time. To me... It felt like an eternity. But to Tohsaka. Who knows. It must have felt quite the short time since my disappearance."

"And your memory slowly eroded..." Artoria says quietly.

"Correct. How long it has been since I've seen everyone I once knew? Who knows? Those memories all but surely faded and burned into ashes. Thus causing me to forget about the people I once knew. And yet, at the same time, I also have blurred memories of those times when I was younger... Yet they cause me nothing but headaches and times I wish to forget. For memories can cause but suffering. Then again, when has suffering not played in one's fate? It's just the way life is..."

"To live is to suffer."

"Yeah..." Shirou says quietly. "And so you used your wish on freeing me." Shirou looked at Artoria.

"Honestly. You should consider your being instead of others for once." Shirou says.

"I did..." Artoria says with a small smile. "But isn't it hypocritical of you to say that I should consider my own being? If my mind remembers correctly, you were very selfless."

"The world is nothing but hypocrisy." Shirou says.

"And I listened to what I wanted. I wanted to be selfish. I know I have no right after what happened between the both of us at the end. But I wanted to be selfish and help you. Just like you helped me in the war..." Artoria says.

Shirou looked puzzled for a second. But he then can only think back a bit.

"Can I be considered a help to you? If nothing else... I was but holding you back."

"While it is true I was not at my full strength. The both of us managed to fair well."

"Yes. I suppose you're correct. Though why is it that you're here? If you've found your peace and no longer wish for that wish of yours... Shouldn't you be resting, o' highness?"

"There's no need to formal." Artoria says. Amused and chuckles at Shirou.

"What do you mean? Is it not disrespect to not be formal towards a King?"

"Yes... At some point. I was king. Yet those days are long gone."

"And now you live as but a schoolgirl. How amusing."

"Wouldn't that mean the same to you as well? A Guardian of humanity reduced to a schoolboy?"

"Fair enough. I can't argue with you... But have you truly put down the blade that once protected your kingdom?"

"Can you say that I protected my kingdom and my people?" Artoria said. "If I truly protected my kingdom. Then I would have never tried to change the past in the first place."

"Hmm..."

"We shall continue our conversation another day." Artoria said. Shirou nods at her as they both stopped at the front door to his home. Shirou walks ahead and goes in. "Oh...!" Shirou looked at Artoria, staring at her in question.

"There was one thing I forgot to mention to you!" Artoria said towards Shirou.

"What might that be exactly?" Shirou asked, puzzled. Have they not stopped their conversation and won't speak on further matters? For the sake of both of them. It's very awkward and quite troubling at the same time because of all this stuff.

"Expect a visit from Rin soon. She wants to talk to you." Artoria paused. "Good luck, Shirou." Artoria said who then walked away. Shirou closes the door and stays silent.

...

...

...

"E-eh?!" Realization fully kicked in.

Impossible. Rin? Here? To talk to him?

"Speak of the devil..." Shirou mumbled. Shaking a bit. "No... There's no way she can come here to another world. She doesn't have the power to do so... That way... I'm safe from her wrath. No... Saber was probably just bluffing. Heh, yeah. That's right. Moving throughout world's shouldn't be possible unless given the second magic. But only one person wields it. Other than that, it's impossible." Shirou said. Entering the house as he tries to push the thoughts of meeting Rin once again at the back of his mind.

He's safe from the wrath of Rin Tohsaka...

Right?

-~-

Word Count: 1,055