nineteen. love of a friend

THE DIVINE FEMININE
*.☽ .* :☆ act two, howl
ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎ
CHAPTER 019– love of a friend

* ˎCHAPTER 019– love of a friend

✧☾.·:·.*chapter nineteen
and if i was without you,
i'd be so very lost.

When Dorethea awoke that morning she had about thirty seconds of bliss. For less than a minute she was at peace, basking in the warmth of the sunlight that crept through the cracks in the velveteen curtains. That was of course until she remembered the prior night's events and felt her heart drop to her stomach.

She sat up immediately, only to be met with the shock of Elijah's hunched up form, sitting at the end of her bed. She didn't even remember finding her bed yesterday evening, which led her to wonder whether he'd stayed by her through out the entire night.

Dorethea crawled forward, realising she was still wearing her same torn dress; it made her sick. The ripped material only being a direct reminder of the dirty hands that had been placed all over her skin. She wretched but forced herself to swallow the bile that wanted to escape her empty stomach.

"Elijah?" She croaked, sleep tainting her voice.

He turned to her, as if only now realising she was awake and smiled lightly. "Good morning."

They both just stared at each other for a long moment, each knowing that the second they left Dorethea's chambers they were going to be thrown back into the mess they'd become part of last night.
They'd disposed of the body eventually, after many stress induced tears.

But now this morning, they had to lie, they had to be the innocents.

"We have to talk to Mary." Dorethea eventually piped up, Elijah nodded in response, blowing out a heavy sigh.

"We tell her the truth, right?"

"We do. She'll have ours backs. Always." Dorethea confirmed, knowing her queen well.

"I'll go. I'll explain. You should rest."

Dorethea wanted to protest but truthfully she was too exhausted, she didn't want to climb from her bed and see the bruises that now reside on her skin, she wanted to pretend things were okay for a little longer.

The two parted ways for a short while, just enough time for Elijah to go find Mary and explain the tricky predicament.

"You should have seen the way he was touching her. And she was crying. God, he was going to—" Elijah paused, he couldn't let the next word leave his mouth. He feared that if he did he'd be physically sick.

Mary nodded, putting pieces together in her mind and realising what had happened to her friend that last fateful evening. She swallowed, her expression a dangerous mix of disgust, anger and utter regret. "How is she doing?"