twenty two. an english queen

THE DIVINE FEMININE
*.☽ .* :☆ act two, howl
ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎ
CHAPTER 022 — an english queen

Little happened in court for weeks on end, it was the quietest it had been in a long while and Dorethea was very glad. Her sister had arrived and hadn't been caught up in any sort of trouble, she spent many of her hours with Dorethea and the other ladies, just getting used to the niceties of this new life whilst remaining under the watchful eye of her older sister.

Dorethea felt more relaxed than she had in a long while and Elijah noticed this, and he cherished it, remembering every wide smile and laugh she let loose because he knew that it wouldn't last for long, happiness never did in a place like this.

Mary was called to the throne room on an ordinary Thursday morning, she'd been having breakfast with Francis, Dorethea, Elijah and a few others when she was called forward for company with the king and queen. Francis stood to follow her and gestured with a shrug of his shoulders for the other two to join him.

When they arrived, the throne room was quite cramped, full of anxious nobles. "There is news sent to us by Cardinal Tesson, the papal emissary. In England, the Tudor queen is dying." Henry spoke and the room erupted in murmurs.

Cardinal Tesson, a man that Dorethea was slightly familiar with tried to explain, "While she has not named her successor..."

"—many suspect, and believe, the rightful heir to the English throne is you, Mary Stuart." Henry cut the Cardinal off halfway through his sentence.

The king stepped forward and took Henry by the hand, "The second England's queen dies, you will make your claim. Your marriage to my son will strengthen that claim, as it will show the world that you have the might of France at your side. France fulfills its promise to Scotland and to you. It's time you and Francis are wed."

Dorethea caught Catherine's eye, the older woman looked angry and seemed to be mumbling something to herself.

"We must celebrate. It's God's will." Henry addressed the huddled nobles.

Mary turned round with a disgruntled look on her face, "Am I understanding this right? That a new condition of the alliance of our marriage is that I deliver England to you?"

"It's what my father wants." Francis murmured, "He has the Vaticans support it seems."

"But Elizabeth has support as well, in insurmountable amounts. She has been gathering armies for years." Dorethea added.

Mary nodded and looked to Francis, "Indeed. You realize what laying claim to England could cost me?"

"Yes. I do. It could cost you your head." He said gravely.

Mary and Dorethea parted ways with the men soon after this, Mary needed time to process it all with her friend by her side.

"I don't quite understand, I am not Henry VIII's next blood relation. His daughter— Elizabeth?" Mary queried.

"Elizabeth is his daughter but her mother was Anne Boleyn. The marriage between Henry and Anne was never officially recognised by the Catholic Church, making Elizabeth illegitimate." Dorethea had spent much of her life studying the politics of the world, her mother had insisted that such education would be attractive to courtiers.

"Oh."

"Her claim is far weaker than yours."

"How do you know all this, Dorethea?"

"I read."

"I see."

"Elizabeth is also a protestant, the Pope won't want to lose England to protestantism. He'll want you."

Mary nodded, "But surely it'll be dangerous."

"I'm sure. It will create mass rioting between Catholics and Protestants."

"England versus Scotland.." Mary mused, her voice held a nervous tone.

"You don't have to do it. You don't have to make your claim." Dorethea assured.

"Henry wants England, he will surely get it."

"No. Henry is thirsty for power, he acts without any thought, you, you are clever."

Mary left Dorethea alone soon after to meet Francis and take a walk outside with him so Dorethea decided to find her sister and enjoy some time with her.

"Harriet, how is mother?"

"As grumpy as ever."

"Don't say that!" Dorethea chided her, slapping her forearm lightly and suppressing a chuckle.

Harriet laughed, "She is quite well, her and father are as separate as ever, she was unhappy with him for your sudden engagement." She paused, "He didn't tell us about his plans with Henry, you know?."

"I assumed so. It's okay though, not worth dwelling on now."

Harriet hummed in agreement.

"And our siblings? Are they well?"

"Young Charlie suffered with Scarlet Fever a few months back, we thought we were going to lose him but he pulled through."

"He was sick? No one wrote to tell me? I would've come home to visit and help look after him!" Dorethea exclaimed erratically.

"We thought as much and that is why mother chose to not tell you. She didn't want you coming home because she feared you'd never return to France. She only wants what's best for us."

"I know, i know." She sighed, "I do miss home, it is quite wonderful here of course but it will never be home, it will never come close."

"Not even with your new lover?" Harriet was quick witted with her comical jabs, laughing at herself whilst Dorethea rolled her eyes.

"He is not my 'lover', merely a friend, a good friend." Even as she spoke these words she was not quite sure if she believed them.

"Men and women cannot be friends, sister."

"You sound like mother. We are not in Scotland anymore Harriet, the world is different here, I can be friends with whoever i please."

UNEDITED

it's been so long. i literally wrote this chapter in january and never posted it. i cant even remember what direction i was heading towards with this book.
i'm sorry....