twenty. small battles

THE DIVINE FEMININE
*.☽ .* :☆ act two, howl
ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎ
CHAPTER 020– small battles

* ˎCHAPTER 020– small battles

✧☾.·:·.*chapter twenty
but we need each other
to survive.

"Dorethea." Francis murmured quietly, "Don't worry. My father only wants to speak to you. He knows nothing." He tilted his head to look at the shorter woman, offering a small but comforting smile.

She sucked in a breath, chewing on her bottom lip nervously, already hearing the kings booming voice echoing around the throne room.

"Mary and Elijah are both inside already. You won't be alone." He reassured, "You know what you're going to say, right?"

"Yes." Dorethea said, looking at the ground.

"We considered telling my mother the truth." Francis said, "But Mary protested, she doesn't trust her."

"I know. If Catherine is to know the truth, I'd like her to hear it from my own mouth."

Francis nodded, "My father won't waste much time worrying about Stratford's whereabouts. He'll probably just assume he had second thoughts about the engagement and fled."

"I hope so." Dorethea mumbled, inhaling a heavy breath and looking up to meet Francis' eyes, nodding to let him know that she was ready to talk to the king.

Francis watched her for a second more, he admired her bravery. It was quite obvious that all she wanted to do was run far away from here but yet she stayed, knowing she had to help untangle this awful mess.

He stepped forward, pushing gently on the heavy doors of the throne room, usually there would be guards in place to do that for him but Francis had sent them away earlier so he could talk to Dorethea in private.

As the doors swung open, Francis walked through, turning back to gesture for Dorethea to follow his lead. Her chest clenched a little, pressing hard on her heart and lungs, she feared so greatly that she'd mess everything up and that the king would know what had occurred the previous night. She almost turned around and fled in that moment, her panic almost took over but then she caught eyes with a friendly, yet also fearful, face.

Elijah's eyes watched her carefully, he did not smile at her nor attempt to offer any reassurance but the gentle affection his gaze held was enough to calm Dorethea's beating heart.

The room was brimming with heavy silence before the king spoke, "Lady Astley." Henry greeted the woman stoically.

"Your majesty." Dorethea dropped to a polite curtesy.

"Your fiancé, Lord Stratford was supposed to meet with the nobles this morning after breakfast to discuss a new allegiance between some towns in the north." The king peered at the girl as he spoke, his stare felt accusing but Dorethea hoped that was just her paranoia." But he did not show his face."