Chapter 1:

America's POV:

I sat staring out the window again. I could feel Mom and May's eyes on me, but I didn't care. I was heartbroken, and I didn't see myself getting over it anytime soon. I continued to stare, dazed watching birds fly and trees tilt with the wind.

I woke up from my day dream when I heard Mom calling everyone for dinner. I slowly got up, with my feet numb and walked to the familiarity of my dining room. Everything seemed so drab now, the palace was bursting with colour and lavish designs. My childhood home seemed so washed out compared to that.

I sat at the dinner table and a plate with pasta, chicken and some vegetables was placed in front of me. My stomach turned at the thought of the heavy pasta sauce so I picked at some of the chicken. I didn't eat or sleep much anymore, and I could see how my clothes hung on my limbs and the way Mom's worried eyes looked at me sometimes, but I didn't care.

"America, honey, May and I can handle the clean up. You go upstairs and get some sleep, you look tired." Mom said as I grabbed a rag for the dishes.

I gave her a miniscule nod in an attempt to acknowledge her kind words but by the sad smile on my mother's face, I wasn't so sure she had seen it.

I walked up the stairs, each step creaking under my feet and dragged myself to my room. I slowly bent down to the bed and I wept, I cried deep, jarring sobs. This was the first time I had allowed myself to wallow, up until now I had just felt numb.

I shed tears like that for maybe an hour until May came in. Without saying anything, she ran up to me, and embraced me. We stayed like that for a few moments while my cries quieted and slowed until it was just a few tears sliding silently down my cheeks. May pulled back the blanket on the bed and gently pushed me in, then slid in next to me. She held me all through the night until I finally fell asleep, all without saying a word. She knew me well enough to see that I didn't want to listen to anyone and definitely didn't want to talk to anyone. 

Author's Note:

Hi everyone! This is my first ever fanfiction so I'm very nervous, if anyone has any tips or anything, please let me know, I will take all the constructive criticism I can! 

This is the first chapter, obviously, but I have around the next eight or nine in my drafts, let me know when you want an update! 

I hope you enjoyed <3

I would like to say: This fanfiction is an alternate ending that if the rebel attack in The One never happened. Maxon chose Kriss because he was heartbroken over America and the king and queen weren't killed.