Chapter 2:

Maxon's POV:

This was my fourth time trying to read this report. I couldn't focus, all I could think about was Kriss, and not in a good way. It had only been a few weeks since we announced our engagement, we weren't even married and she was driving me crazy. She agrees with everything I say and always avoids arguments and confrontation even when I think they're necessary. I decided to put all of that out of my mind and settled down to read the report for the fifth time.

A few hours later, I heard a small knock on the door, followed by a quiet giggle. This, of course, disrupted any focus or concentration I had.

"Come in." I said, sighing.

"Maxon!" said Kriss in a singsong voice.

"Yes, dear?" I said, trying to give her a genuine smile.

"For our wedding, should we have roast lamb or roast beef?" she called strutting over to my desk, holding a pad of paper and a pen.

"Whatever you think, Kriss." I said, not paying attention and trying to get back to my stack of papers. I was only mildly disappointed that it wasn't something interesting or important, in my eyes. I had become accustomed to her interruptions with insignificant questions.

She scribbled something down and then I could feel her watching me. She took a breath as if she might say something, then seemed to decide against it.

"I'll see you at dinner." she said in a small voice as she walked out.

Once again, I lacked concentration and focus so I decided to take a walk in the gardens. While I walked, it became quite apparent what was so irritating to me about Kriss; she wasn't America.

I smiled when I thought of America, when I saw her favourite plants in the gardens and looked up to see the spot on the roof where we had danced in the rain. I continued on, and I realised that the ache in my heart was not a want for Kriss, but a need for America. It was then that I discovered I had made the wrong choice. I was not supposed to be with Kriss, I was destined to be married to America. 

Author's Note:

Thank you to everyone who has read this so far, I hope it's intriguing enough and that you're enjoying it!

In any part of the book, let me know if you think I should add something or someone, I would love to hear your suggestions!

Have a great day everyone <3

-J