Chapter 6

Maxon's POV:

I sat my father and Kriss down in my study. I started many different sentences a few times before Father barked at me to get on with it.

"Father, Kriss. I need to tell you something which both of you will not like."

Some emotion passed over Kriss' face. Worry, sadness, hurt? It was gone almost immediately after though and her sweet smile returned.

Did she always have to be so perfect, so queenly? Could she not for one moment, when she's worried, allow herself to be worried?

"Kriss, I'm sorry, I thought I was in love with you, but I'm not. My heart belongs to someone else. A piece of my heart will always be yours, but I just don't think it will work. I'm so, so sorry." I give her a genuine smile this time, because as much as she irritates me, I know she adores me and is head over heels in love with me, and I pity her.

It takes Kriss a moment to think through all I've said, but a single tear slides down her cheek. She stands, nods her head, and bows into a deep curtsy.

"If you'll excuse me, I'm going to my room. Perhaps we will talk later." Kriss said coldly, in a very un-Kriss like manner.

Once Kriss was gone and out of earshot, my father erupted. He was livid. I could practically see the steam coming out of his ears.

Part of me was petrified as to how he would react, but another part didn't care, was excited in fact. If this meant I could have my America in my arms again, what did it matter? I would do this ten times over just to see her.

"MAXON!" he bellowed. "You cannot choose that Five. Kriss was your best choice, you made the decision. It is done."

"Actually Father, the decision is not made until the wedding, until then, technically all the girls are still in the running. Remember? You kept all the girls here until the wedding of your Selection." I said in my calmest manner.

He was so angry he had gone quiet.

"I'm sure America would make it quite known if I told her you were the reason she and I did not end up together." I said, a faint smile on my lips. "That would ruin your reputation, and it would definitely have an impact on the public's opinion of you."

That seemed to really get to my father. I saw in his eyes the reluctance giving way inch by inch, until finally he snapped.

"Fine. But, she better be on her best behaviour. And I mean BEST" Father spat as he got up to leave.

"I will see you at dinner, Father." I said, trying to contain the excitement, threatening to bubble over the top, and spill out of me.

The idea of seeing America in less than forty-eight hours brought me so much joy.

Author's Note: 

Hey guys! Here is the long awaited  update, Chapter 7 will be posted really soon because I already have it written. 

Hope everyone is doing well with Back To School! 

As always, thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed and stay fabulous <3

- J