Chapter 8

Maxon's POV:

As much as I didn't want to, I went to find Kriss. I was going to leave to see America tomorrow morning, and I would be leaving her in the palace. I owed it to her to give her an explanation.

I knocked gently on her door.

"Come in." she sniffled.

I opened the door and found Kriss sitting on her bed and surrounded by scrunched up tissues and chocolates. She looked like someone straight out of a movie, going through a breakup.

She looked up at me with the saddest expression and her eyes filled with tears. While I wasn't meant to be with her, she still meant a lot to me and in that moment, I wanted to tell her it was going to be okay, she would be alright, but really, it wasn't and I don't think she was.

"Kriss." I spoke softly as if speaking to a toddler, trying to soothe them during a temper tantrum.

"You were a great candidate, and while I don't think I'll ever love you romantically, you still mean so much to me. I hate to see you so upset, and when I realised I led you on to believe you would be my wife, my queen and I diminished all those hopes at the last second, it makes me believe what an awful person I am, I was a jerk to you, when you have only been compassionate, adoring and loving to me. So I beg you, please forgive me and I know hoping to part as friends would be naive, but I hope one day, you could revisit the palace and we could speak again some time." I said with a sad smile.

"Thank you, Maxon. For everything." Kriss said with a watery smile.

I bent down to her and gave her one last kiss on her forehead. I nodded and walked out, fearing if I spoke again, I would only upset her more.

***

I woke up feeling groggy, then everything came back to me. Today was the day I was seeing America. I jumped out of bed and took a quick shower. I combed my hair and shaved, I wanted to look my best for America. I put on my finest suit and tie and strode down to breakfast.

I got there just as my mother and father were taking their seats.

"Good morning." I told my parents as I sat down.

Mom gave me a nod and kind smile while Father was too engrossed in his newspaper to acknowledge me.

Breakfast went by in a blur and soon I was boarding the plane. I gave Mom and Kriss one last wave goodbye before I stepped into the aircraft. I started reading some budgets but my eyes got heavy and I could not focus any longer. Minutes later, I was asleep.

***

"Your Royal Highness, we have landed." my personal guard said, shaking me awake. I gave him a quick nod before stepping out into the open air and walking down the stairs. There weren't any crowds as we had kept this strictly private. There was a cab waiting to take me to America. I jumped in and couldn't contain my excitement, I asked him to go as fast as he was allowed. He laughed and obeyed.

Within fifteen minutes I was at the Singer household, and it looked different than I imagined but there would be more time to think about that after, right now I needed to see one person and one person only.

America. 

Author's Note:

Hello my lovelies! I am so so so so so sorry for not updating! {Also, how many 'so's' are too many?}

Anyways, I have been super busy with school and exams but we're on Christmas holidays now so I'm trying to write more and update you guys.

Here is Chapter 12, where I think it might start to actually get good? I'm not sure.

I am going to post one chapter every day but if I forget to, please spam my comments so I remember and virtually shout at me {don't worry I won't be offended}

Also, this little fanfic has now reached 400 reads?! Not sure how that happened, but thanks everyone. I feel like we're all a little family.

Thanks for reading, my lovelies. I hope you enjoyed and stay fabulous <3

- J