Chapter Three - The Fight

Ivy took her seat, the only two left being right beside each other, she grimaced as Rafe sat beside her, giving no regard for personal space and placing his lanky arms onto the table, elbows out, hands clasped. Ivy looked at his tanned arms as they sat flexed beneath her, annoyingly not being able to draw her attention away from how toned they looked, he was no longer just a skinny boy but had very clearly been hitting the gym over the past year, or two. She had never been close enough to tell.

Throughout the dinner, the two were in a silent competition of who could handle more alcohol, much to Leo's dismay. As Ivy drained her fourth glass of champagne before the appetizers were even done. He cleared his throat and glared at her, she smiled sweetly back as she poured another glass, Rafe making a mental note to pour one after her but wait a minute so it didn't look like he was copying her. Ward couldn't help but notice the exchange.

"Kids eh Rutherford. Let them enjoy their summer" he said

Leo raised his eyebrows and gave a tight-lipped smile, looking back down into his food.

"So Ivy, you're going to Harvard after the summer is that right?" Rose asked breaking the tension

Ivy suddenly felt the alcohol take effect and tried her best not to slur her words "Yep that's right. I took a year out last year while studying"

"She said she wanted to experience the world" Alexis said

"She spent her money shopping in Paris and Milan" Leo chuckled, a slight edge in his tone, clearly very unhappy with his daughter's spending habits

"That's an experience. And I got 174 on the LSAT" Ivy said proudly

They table discussed European holidays they had been on with Sarah mentioning that the Amalfi Coast in Italy had been her favourite. The Cameron family congratulated Ivy on her collegiate successes.

"Rafe will need to keep you close if you're going to be a lawyer" Sarah sneered

Ivy bit back a smile at Rafes annoyance. Ward gave a stern look to his daughter.

"Speaking of what are you doing with yourself, Rafe?" Leo asked

"Um. I haven't quite decided yet sir" he replied, obviously very on the spot

"Spending daddy's money on coke" Ivy whispered, raising her eyes and sneakily putting a finger to one nostril at his sister across from her who stifled a laugh, thankfully nobody else had seen the exchange.

Leo began a lecture on how it was important to be prepared in unprecedented times and should maybe think of enlisting similar to Ivy's boyfriend Trevor. Ivy choked on the bubbly liquid she was drinking and coughed a few times before apologising to the table.

"You think I couldn't do it?" Rafe asked

"No I think you could if you wanted to, but you don't so you'd half ass it and have to bribe them to let you leave"

The air surrounding the table now grew very thick with tension

"Ivy" Alexis said in a warning tone

"What? Everyone knows I'm right. You need the determination to do that kind of thing and the only thing you're determined to do is to make my summers a living hell" Ivy snapped, now very clearly intoxicated, her voice rising.

"Ivy do not make a scene" Leo hissed, becoming more aware of the eyes on the table

"Oh, Jesus Christ here we go. Come on let it out, princess. You still pissed about that party? Let it go already" Rafe said rolling his eyes and draining his glass

"You embarrassed me, I've got nothing here anymore. No friends, not like I had many before that and everyone thinks I'm in love with you when it couldn't be further than the truth. I hate you. I hate you so goddamn much" she seethed

Rafe chuckled to himself as he watched the once very well put together girl unravel. He had planned this, he wanted to get under her skin and make her snap in front of all those people, he wanted to humiliate her once again.

"What the hell happened?" Leo asked

"Rafe son. What did you do?" Ward asked calmly

Rafe shrugged "I don't know what she's talking about"

Ivy pushed her chair out to leave "Oh screw you, you asshole" she hissed before storming away, past the multiple eyes and whispers at the other tables.

Sarah shook her head and wiped her hand on a napkin before standing up and going to follow Ivy "Yeah nice going Patrick Bateman" she growled into her brother's ear who sat unbothered, cutting his steak.

"This is really good steak" he said nonchalantly as both sets of parents and the younger Cameron sister looked at him in confusion.

Outside Ivy walked up and down the entryway, cursing herself for making a scene. She was usually calm and collected but something about Rafe just angered her beyond belief. She exhaled loudly as tears began to form. She wiped them away when she heard the sound of running footsteps behind her. It was Sarah.

"Ivy! Look I'm sorry about him, he's like Troy Bolton and the Joker had a child" she said trying to cheer the crying girl up

Ivy let out a breathy laugh and sniffed before she spoke "You're definitely right there. I'm not upset, by the way, I cry when I get angry"

"If it makes you feel any better. I never believe a word he says, I don't think a lot of people do if I'm honest but when you're Ward Cameron's son people tend to just go along with whatever you say, no matter what you believe. Don't want to lose their place at the country club" she said gesturing to the large building behind them

"I know I shouldn't care but god he just irritates me so much, he's just so smug about everything. But I guess I kind of started that out of nowhere" Ivy admitted

"Yeah a lil bit" Sarah laughed scrunching her nose and pinching her fingers together without touching them.

"I'm wasted. I really don't want to go back in there, can you call me a cab?" Ivy said sitting down on a plush olive coloured velvet chair in the reception.

"I'll drive you. I haven't had anything to drink, and the dinner wasn't appealing to me anyway, I'm gonna go hang out with some friends. Do you want to come?"

"I just kind of want my own bed if I'm honest" Ivy smiled weakly, her eyes bloodshot from the alcohol and the crying

Sarah nodded and headed to the boy working in the valet and sweet talked him for the keys to her dad's car. In the car Sarah turned the music up loud and sped out of the parking lot, driving her and Ivy home.