Chapter Thirteen - Just Like Him

The Kildare country club welcomed the Rutherford family with open arms despite the altercation on their last visit. This was because they had money and when enough money was spent anything particularly bad or embarrassing was usually swept under the rug, which is why the Cameron's would always be welcome at the club despite the many occasions Rafe had gotten so shit faced he either got in fights or caused some sort of problem for the staff. The waiter sat them at a nice table with flutes of fizzing champagne already placed beside the plates. Leo eyed Ivy as if to cast her a warning which she received loud and clear. She didn't feel like having a drink, anyway, worrying that she would accidentally blurt out her secret to the whole table.

The families were seated, and Ivy began fiddling with the hem of her dress, picking at a loose thread to ease her nerves. Trevor's mother Mary had caught on to her awkward movements during the day and frowned slightly.

"Dear is everything okay? You've been rather fidgety all day. You know it's not good manners to stare into your lap when you're in other people's company"

Ivy was taken aback by this "Oh... Yes Mrs Van Der Lin I'm fine I'm just so excited that you're all here I don't really know how to react!" she lied

Mary narrowed her eyes slightly before taking a sip of her champagne and nodding. It wouldn't be too long until the champagne mixed with her Xanax, and she would become docile, Ivy silently prayed this would come quick. Her father and Trevor's went to go for a walk around before dinner to meet some of Leo's business associates before eating, leaving the women and Trevor to talk.

"So Trevor how has your summer been so far?" Alexis asked

"It's been great Mrs Rutherford -" he started

"Just Alexis is fine sweetie" she smiled, a hint of irritation behind her words, she didn't want to be known as 'Mrs Rutherford'

Trevor nodded "I'm just glad we finally got to come and see you guys. I've missed this one hell of a lot" he admitted wrapping a strong arm around Ivy

"Oh, you wouldn't believe how much she's gone on about this the whole summer. This past week has been the only time I've hardly heard anything from her about it" Alexis gushed

Ivy smiled sheepishly as she felt her golden cheeks deepen to a crimson colour as her mother spoke, Mary's eyes not leaving her for more than a few seconds at a time before returning to the conversation at hand.

When the men returned to the table they had another body along with them. Ward Cameron, Ivy felt her heart rate quicken. Was Rafe with him? Had her father asked for them to come over? Her mind was put to ease when she looked over to the table he was pointing toward to find that it was only set for four people and that Rafe was not one of those people.

Trevor leaned over to her and whispered "So that's Satan's father"

Ivy forced a laugh and resumed studying her menu as if she hadn't been there four times already this summer.

The dinner was painstakingly long, and Ivy felt herself getting more anxious as the time went on. She excused herself to the bathroom during dessert and sat there for a moment, fanning herself in the cool room. She still felt nauseous and felt almost like she was going to throw up there and then on the porcelain tiles. Exhaling she pushed through the doors and walked back to her table, announcing that she didn't feel well and was going to head back home. Trevor offered to drive her back and she accepted, realising that it was now or never. She bid goodbye to the rest of the table and gave a small wave to Sarah who sat looking bored at her family dinner.

In the car, Trevor talked the whole way home about activities he wanted to do this weekend. Ivy began feeling sicker as the ride went on and thanked the higher powers when the Range Rover came to a stop outside the Rutherford summer home. When they entered the very empty house Trevor wrapped his arms around Ivy from behind and began planting small kisses on her neck, she bit her lip and turned around to face him with a frown.

"Seriously? What's going on with you today. I thought you'd be excited to see me and don't give me that 'feeling sick' bullshit because I know it's crap. I thought maybe you just wanted to get us alone. So what is it? Are you pregnant or something because you didn't touch your drink at dinner and my mom definitely noticed -" he rambled

"I cheated on you!" Ivy yelled, covering her mouth quickly upon realising what she said.

Trevor took a step back "You. You did what? With who?"

"This guy kissed me, and I kissed him back, but it was over quicker than it started but I'm sorry, that's why I've been so weird and I feel awful. I didn't want to tell you when your family had paid to come here, and I know I should've but I'm so sorry Trev please believe me" Ivy begged

"So you just let me, and my family come here and act happy families at the country club?" he seethed

Ivy began to feel her eyes prick with tears "No it's not like that I just –"

"Just wanted to humiliate me?" he scoffed

"No, I'd never want that for anyone. It just happened" She argued

"Who's the guy" he asked

"Just a guy" Ivy said avoiding the answer

"Who Ivy?" Trevor yelled, his loud voice echoing through the entryway

The curly haired girl swallowed hard, tears streaming from her eyes now, afraid to speak his name like it was some sort of curse word and she was a child.

"It was that asshole Rafe wasn't it?" he said letting out a dry humourless laugh

Ivy silently nodded

Trevor balled his hands into fists and yelled loudly "You fucking bitch. You pretend you hate him, you tell me every day about how he makes your life a misery but the minute he shows you the littlest bit of attention you're all over him"

Ivy felt her sadness turn to anger at his words and like a switch was flipped wiped away the stray tears on her cheeks "He kissed me. It lasted 30 seconds which by the way is exactly how long you last in bed. I was not 'all over him' maybe if you actually knew how to turn a girl on I wouldn't have felt obliged to kiss back" she scoffed

"Do not turn this onto me. You cheated" he growled

"I know and I'm sorry" she repeated

"No. You don't get to do that and then say sorry like it's all okay" Trevor said, waving his hands around

Ivy rolled her eyes suddenly feeling very bored of this conversation "It was one kiss; you can't stay mad at me forever. Go kick his ass for all I care, he started it"

Trevor looked at his girlfriend in disgust, he had never seen this side of her "You sound like a child. This clearly isn't going to work anymore. I don't know what this Rafe guy did or said to you but you're definitely a lot more alike than you like to believe Ivy. I'm going to bed, when my parents come home I'll let them know we're leaving in the morning"

Ivy placed her tongue in her cheek, livid that she had been compared to Rafe "Bye" she spoke lifting her hand to give a small wave

Trevor shook his head and trudged up the stairs. Ivy walked to the sitting room and poured herself a drink, the feeling of sickness in her stomach now transformed into a hollow pit of anger, one that was all directed toward Rafe. He had sunk his claws into her so deep that in her attempts to be better than him she had allowed herself to become exactly like him. Maybe, she had always been like this she thought. She had always used her emotions to manipulate others and get her own way but that was just the same as every rich girl she knew. Perhaps she and Rafe weren't so different after all, and as these thoughts swam around her mind, her grip on the glass suddenly tightened.