Chamonix, France

This town surrounded by snow-covered mountains was the last place you expected to find yourself. After Tom had dropped that bomb not even 24 hours ago it felt like he pulled the rug out from under your feet. By quitting at Borgin & Burkes he ripped your own livelihood from you although he had promised there was no reason to be worried.

"I want to travel," he had explained. "With you, get away from all of this."

You had laid there next to him, stiff as a board and unable to even think and he had kind of just ushered you into this whole situation.

"You're in shock," you had replied, probably more to yourself than him. "Finding that poor woman must have messed with you, it's understandable. I'm sure if you explain the situation to Mr. Borgin and Mr. Burke they will let you work for them again."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I was the last person to be seen at Smith's house, I'd be the prime suspect."

And thus it was settled, you were going to disappear for a while, just the two of you. Paid for by one of Tom's friends he assured you, making you wonder where to get friends like that.

Right before you left this morning, Tom asked you where you wanted to go and you named the first thing that came to mind this short after Christmas: Chamonix, a French town by the mountain Mont Blanc.

Tom hadn't questioned your decision, he genuinely seemed to be relieved to just leave and go somewhere with you. A tiny voice in the back of your mind kept warning you that there might be more to come, your own emotional state was just grasping at every little straw and Tom being willing to really put aside work and have a much needed relaxing time somewhere far away wasn't just a little straw, it was a huge sign that promised love and shelter. Shelter from a stupidly bad timing on Tom's part.

The tight winding roads and the inn you two chose reminded you of your first real job together in Wigtown, it was small and cozy but the view this time was much more breathtaking with the mountains in the backdrop. And this time you shared a room. Tom lit the fireplace with his wand, the room was freezing cold but the warm glow of the fire already gave it a much warmer feel.

"Will you be alright in a Muggle town?," you asked.

After some time you had noticed that Tom always stuck to the wizarding parts of London and avoided mingling with Muggles.

"It's easier to lay low here," he replied, watching the fire lick at the wood and bricks.

You stepped closer to warm yourself, Tom slid an arm around your waist and pulled you close, you could feel your own heart beating against your ribcage. Pulling him tight, you rested your head against his chest, feeling the rise and fall with every breath he took, reminding you of his humanity and humans messed up every once in a while and that was fine. Yes, his mess had affected you but without him you wouldn't have had those interesting months and for now you were out of harm's way, able to take a break, then regroup and work on a solution.

Tom nuzzled his face in your hair and placed a kiss on the top of your head.

"Are you worried?," he whispered.

"Of course I am. About you suddenly being so affectionate."

"Am I not allowed to?"

"You are! I love it but it's new, usually we either fuck or sit in silence working our way through books or sales papers."

He gave a little hum as a reply and lifted your chin to place a gentle kiss on your lips.

"You've been very useful to me, you deserve this," he replied.