•T H R E E•

♪ Cut me down, always calling me unstableYou so easily can make me cry just 'cause you were in a mood ♪{BANKS—Change}

You so easily can make me cry just 'cause you were in a mood ♪
{BANKS—Change}

The "welcome home" dinner turned out a bit too frivolous for Cordelia's taste. There were guests she hadn't anticipated, food that was a smidgen too rich and fancy for what a supposed low-key event, and too much debate about her future, right under her nose. But the rest of her first week at court was uneventful.

The ladies at court had little time to spend gossiping about her, all too occupied with starting rumors about the debutantes to arrive soon for the Presentation. And wondering whether their arrival would draw more eligible bachelors to the castle.

Of course it will... because Antoine has already summoned them, no?

She avoided Antoine at all costs, though he, too, was too busy to pester her. Reports of rebellious coups were coming in from all parts of the country, and he had a lot on his plate while also preparing for the Presentation.

Marguerite had Giromian issues to handle, and envoys met with her daily to discuss land disputes and attempted attacks on her allies in Giroma. Whenever Cordelia spotted her, she issued a quick but exhausted smile before huffing and waddling back into her office. Being a sought-after monarch of her own country had prompted Antoine to clear up a vacant room for her on the third floor, near her chambers—so there'd be fewer efforts to get around.

With two children already—three-year-old Princess Pauline, and the nearly two-year-old Henry-Romain—Marguerite and Antoine were exhausted. Not only were they King and Queen, they were parents who wanted to be as involved as possible with their offspring. To "avoid parental issues like those with Edouard and Clémentine," Marguerite had once explained to Cordelia. It made sense, but Cordelia worried they'd die of fatigue if they didn't delegate more of the child-rearing tasks to the ladies who were being paid to do them.

Everyone had something to do, somewhere to be, and Cordelia found herself quite alone, and quite a lot. But Cordelia didn't feel lonely. Céleste was distant—her pregnancy wasn't an easy one, and she was often sick, cloistering to her quarters. And Harriet was containing her two-year-old son's antics or riding off to Limesdale to meet with her sister. So, if anything, Cordelia enjoyed the freedom to roam about her home with little to no disturbance. She appreciated the ability to breeze past ladies who, for once, had no interest in commenting on her attire or deliberating over who she should marry. She spent her mornings near the window in the Dining Room, her afternoons between the Library and the gardens, depending on the weather. And her evenings were tranquil in her quarters, writing in her journal or playing cards with Clarisse and her other ladies.

She knew her peace wouldn't last long, and sure enough, the morning after the debutantes arrived, Antoine summoned her to his office. He'd sent Harriet to fetch her, which meant Céleste would likely be in attendance, too. Sébastien and Jules loved their wives, and preferred them at their sides during family gatherings, as Antoine liked to call them.