•T W E N T Y - S E V E N•

♪ And once again we end up like this, so why deny it?If it feels this good, why don't we certify it? ♪{Shy Martin—Bad in common}

If it feels this good, why don't we certify it? ♪
{Shy Martin—Bad in common}

With the atmosphere less charged thanks to Thomas' departure, Cordelia watched as Helen's stiffened shoulders and defensive stance shifted. She pinched the bridge of her nose and marched over to the bench around the fountain, taking a seat with a sigh.

"What did that mean?" She didn't look at Cordelia, keeping her eyes shut as she moved her fingers to massage her temples. "Whatever may be going on. What in the devil is he implying?" Her spine arched as she sat up straight and her eyelids pried apart, her gaze at once fixing on Cordelia. "What did you tell him?"

Cordelia pointed at herself. "Me? Tell him what?" She flipped around to gawk at the imaginary trail of fumes Thomas had left in his wake with the words he'd uttered, with the suggestions he'd made. But if he was tuned in to what might have occurred between Cordelia and Helen, the Princess appreciated that he hadn't stated it. "He is being silly. Overly chivalrous, I presume, wanting me to seek approval from my... friends... before I consent to anything."

Head cocking to one side, then to the other, like a confused puppy, Helen squinted at her. "He wants to marry you, then? Did you not leave your home because you did not want to wed anyone? This is sudden." She kicked at a few pebbles she'd dragged with her through the grass, sticking to the soles of her shoes. And though her chin tilted down, her gaze was still trained on Cordelia. "You did not tell me."

"It only happened today, Helen." Cordelia shook out her skirts, trying to find a way to distract her hands. They'd begun to tremble, and she didn't understand why, and she especially didn't want Helen to see it. "And as it happens, I do not tell you everything. You are not my lady-in-waiting, you are not Clarisse." She flinched; the mention of her lady-in-waiting made her miss home a smidgen more. "I am a Princess, and am allowed certain secrets, no?"

With a shrug, Helen blew out a deep breath. "Perhaps, but I thought we were friends." She blinked once, slow and steadily, never removing her sights from Cordelia. "Maybe more than that, in fact. Oh, wait." Her eyes swelled with understanding, blossoming like large lettuce leaves fanning out in the sun. "I get it now. What Thomas implied. He referred to Dijon. And the other nights. Oh, that rascal, he must have known all this time..."

"Known what?" Cordelia stomped a foot, sick of being clueless, irritated at not being aware of what she'd done, what Helen had done, what Thomas had done. Their adventures in Paris had somehow revolved around Dijon and whatever actions they'd taken there. Helen brought it up more than in any other city, and now Thomas hinted at remembering something going on, too.

And Cordelia was fed up being the only one to not know. She wasn't certain she needed the knowledge, nor was she ready for it. But she'd had enough of the flashes, the blurry visions. Of the gaps in her memory, the obscurity shrouding many of their outings, the atrocious migraines the morning after.