•T W E N T Y - O N E•

♪ But now I know you can't change the pastWay too young to know the reason why ♪{Vera Blue ft

Way too young to know the reason why ♪
{Vera Blue ft. Flume—Rushing back}

As if Cordelia wasn't terrified enough—a permanent bulge had lodged at the top of her throat—the woman insisted they be blindfolded before exiting the prison.

"I cannot have them seeing where we are going," she said to a man waiting for her in the lobby, that Cordelia had about two seconds to visualize before he wrapped a stuffy cloth over her eyes, shielding her view from her surroundings.

Helen protested, and Cordelia waited to find out if Thomas complained as well, but if he was blindfolded, he didn't seem to care about it.

"Wait!" Cordelia resisted the woman's pull as she tried to drag her outside.

"I do not have time to wait, Highness," said the woman, her fingers wrapping tight around Cordelia's forearm. Ladylike and lovely as she'd appeared, this person had some upper body strength and a grip of steel that made Cordelia even more wary.

An agent of Napoléon, taking us to her secret lair? This does not bode well.

"Where is Razin?" Cordelia winced under her blindfold, craning her neck here and there as if to spot Razin despite not being able to see. "You do not mean to leave him here, do you?"

The woman grunted; a sound quite unlike what Cordelia would have imagined to escape such a well-mannered individual. "Of course not. He is..." Her grip lessened for a moment, before tightening once more. "Ah, there he is. Yes, blindfold him, too."

Cordelia doubted the truth of Razin's arrival, but a few instants passed before the sound of his familiar grumbling and cursing in his maternal language proved he was indeed, with them.

"Razin?" She spun to the source of his growling, envisioning him struggling against the person attempting to mask his sight. "Are you all right?"

"Fine, Princess," muttered Razin from somewhere across the way. His voice was faint, strained from the constant groaning in complaint against his condition. "A man in a woman's prison... unpleasant. But I am fine."

"It is true," said a voice to her left, that she recognized as Thomas', melodic and easy despite the circumstances. Had he not listened to the woman's claims? Did he not care where they were going? "The few men held here are turbulent, and I discovered they were not friendly towards Razin."

Cordelia defied the woman's pull once more as she flipped to where Thomas' voice came from, where she'd sensed him standing, inches from her. "And how would you know?" She had no clue where Helen was—her complaints had either ceased, or she'd already been escorted out. "Were you not locked up? Why are you so calm about all this?"

A hand slid into hers and squeezed, followed by a warm breath trickling into her left ear. "Not now," Thomas whispered, urging her forward with the mysterious Napoléon follower. "I will explain later, but in the meantime, be compliant and bite your tongue. I will go tell Helen and Razin the same."