•T H I R T Y•

♪ Since I was under the ageI've been under the influence of pain ♪{Jhené Aiko—Nobody}EXPLICIT warning—for the song

I've been under the influence of pain ♪
{Jhené Aiko—Nobody}
EXPLICIT warning—for the song

Despite its rickety, battered exterior, the carriage's interior was decent, almost comfortable. Before they took off, the footman ignited two torches on the inside, covering them with dark lampshades—providing a minimum of light without attracting too much attention. Thick black curtains covered the heavy glass windows, which rattled whenever the horses tugged the vehicle over bumps. Otherwise, the ride was fairly smooth, if not soothing at times.

For the first few minutes, neither girl said a word, busy settling in their seats, loosening their boot laces, unfastening their cloaks though keeping the fabrics about their shoulders. The torches gave some warmth, but not enough to remove layers.

After a while, Cordelia noticed a clumpy bag on the floor—a bag that wasn't the one she and Helen had brought with them. She opened it, dug inside, and found additional clothing—ample-sized dresses and wool stockings, along with toiletries, and sacks of snacks. At the top of the pile of items were two sealed letters—each addressed to one of the occupants of the carriage.

Cordelia handed Helen her message, and she tore into it at once. But the Princess lingered on the calligraphy on her note, staring at the letters looping and lounging on the paper. She hadn't seen it often, but she recognized the hand-writing as Thomas', and hesitated to read what she anticipated might be his last words to her for a long time.

Finally, she broke the wax and unfolded the note.

Princess,

I fear I might have pressured you into something you were not ready for. You did run from court to avoid marriage, after all, no? And yet I could not stop myself from asking. From wondering if you would consider it. It pleases me that you at least appeared intrigued, last night, when you mentioned it again. But, alas, we were interrupted by the only person I see as my competition.

Yes... Helen is competition. And before you squirm in your seat and fret about me being aware of this... your secrets, whatever they may be, will always be safe with me. I am uncertain what is up between you two, but it is not lost on me how Helen looks at you. And how you often—without realizing, I am sure—tense when she is near you and measure your words when you speak. Am I jealous? Yes, I am. You and I have had a connection for a while, too, yet we have never acted on it. And the fact that you and Helen may share a similar bond, and may have pursued it more... it hurts my heart.

But that is beside the point. The point, Highness, was to rescue you from this prison, and I am proud to say I have succeeded—if you are reading this, that is. Trust me, you will be much safer in England. I have arranged for some of my more reliable—and less treacherous—French friends to get you there. Once you arrive, you may seek aid from any noble or lord. All are in alliance with Totresia, and none would dare ship you back to France. She will not like it, but I will tell Helen that going to her father would be best.