•F O U R•

♪ I don't live for you, I live for meIf only that were true, if only I could proveThat on my own I'm worthy ♪{Hayley Williams—Asystole}

If only that were true, if only I could prove
That on my own I'm worthy ♪
{Hayley Williams—Asystole}

Hurdling past her ladies—who by now were used to her bursting out of meetings—Cordelia snapped at Clarisse.

"Prepare a carriage," she said, speeding up in case Antoine decided to rush out after her and bar her from taking off. "I am going to visit my mother."

Clarisse shouted something at one of Cordelia's other ladies and caught up with the Princess. "Again? We just got home, Highness."

Cordelia took deep breaths as she saw the Entryway ahead, and sighted the Winter Garden to her right. A stroll amidst the trees and flowers was tempting... but she had to go. She had to seek comfort with her mother.

She owes me.

"It is only for the day, Clarisse," said Cordelia, darting sideways to let a group of gentlemen pass her. They bowed, but she ignored them, too pressed for time. "I need Mother's advice."

"Was it..." Clarisse struggled to maintain Cordelia's hastened pace, "was it that bad in there?"

Clarisse was Cordelia's lady, and albeit descended from a higher-placed aristocratic family, she had no right to batter the Princess for details. But they'd developed a friendship over the years. They shared a bond that Cordelia often relied on to help her through difficult situations—especially arguments with Antoine. Cordelia wouldn't call Clarisse her best friend—she didn't have anyone close enough to her to be called that. But she usually confided in Clarisse.

"I will explain in the vehicle, but we must leave now, before he tries to stop me."

She brushed into the Entryway and halted as Clarisse fetched her late autumnal cloak—a wool shawl styled in the latest trend. The instant the lady-in-waiting returned, they flurried out into the morning sun and waited for their ride.

As the driver pulled up, the footman offered to fetch her a chaperone. Cordelia declined, declaring Clarisse her chaperone for this outing. And when the man's eyebrows raised, Cordelia scowled at him. Would he dare question her command? Or was he one of Antoine's spies who'd relay the entire journey to the King once they got home?

"I have no need of you, either," she said, dismissing him and refusing his hand to help her climb into the carriage. "The footman at the Palace will serve, and you may assist when we get back. Thank you."

Clarisse tensed as she hopped in and settled across from the Princess. The horses took off, and Cordelia deflated at last, letting her emotions spew out in the form of hot tears and foul insults towards her brother.

She explained it all to Clarisse—the tone, the looks, the utter disregard for her feelings, the debating, as if she wasn't in the room. And though Clarisse was used to these behaviors, even she let out a snort when Cordelia mentioned Antoine's talk of an alliance with the French.