chapter four

'my daddy's got a gun, my daddy's got a gun, my daddy's got a gun, you better run'

WANSA LEHNSHERR MAXIMOFF never believed she would be here.

Here, was watching as the snow tumbled to the ground, as she read a book about sorcery in the library with Doctor Stephen Strange.

They didn't really speak.

She sat at one end of the table, reading a book about...what was it again? Sorcery? She didn't care. She didn't want to be here.

Strange was reading about something else.

She didn't know nor did she care. It was just something she noted.

She runs her fingers over the book pages; they're yellow and crinkly, as the words seem to drip down like venom.

It makes her head hurt, and she places her hand to her forehead, sighing softly.

He doesn't look up, probably too into his book to care about what's going on with her.

Whatever. She doesn't care.

"What's your book about?" She asks, her voice sounding bland and tired as she looks up at him.

"Hm?" He murmurs, before looking at her. "Oh, yes, it's about you, actually?"

What?

"Me?" She whispers, her voice being quieter than usual. "How?"

"Well, more like the Scarlet Witch." He replies, and Wanda nods, understanding what he means.

"What's in there?" She asks, her voice a low whisper. "Like, in the book."

"Uh, the Scarlet Witch line, the people, their powers. Stuff like that." He states, and the room goes quiet.

She doesn't know what to say.

This could be it; her way home.

She could go home through this book, it could teach her and take her home.

But did she want to go home yet? Even after just uttering those three words, and the Avengers being nearby?

She didn't know.

"Is it-" She swallows. She doesn't know how she can ask the question. She has to suck it up. Just ask the question and get it over with. "Is it normal for a Scarlet Witch's powers to be orange and purple?"

Strange looks at her with a strange look, living up to his last name.

"What? No, no it's not. Why?" He asks.

Wanda swallows again. She wasn't normal. The voice in her head wasn't normal. Nothing about her was normal.

So who or what was the voice in her head?

"No reason." She whispers in response. "May I borrow that book?"

Jean Grey slowly walks through the debris of the buildings of Genosha.

It wasn't like she hadn't been here before; just not this part of the large island.

There were homes that were further away, and it looked as if the people tried making a town square.

Genosha was huge; Jean had thought that the people had only lived in that one area of Genosha in the largest building, where she had know Magneto and his family had lived.

But no. There were other homes.

"Jean?" Rogue asks. "Jean, do you have anything to report?"

Oh. She forgot about that.

She must've sounded rude for not responding to them about where she was.

They all had taken different parts of Genosha. Maybe she had went too far. She didn't know nor care.

"Huh? Oh, yeah I've just found a town. Mostly just homes."

"Send your location." Charles says over their coms and not though telepathy.

"Okay." She whispers into the coms. "Okay."

She sends it quickly, before stumbling through the town, sighing softly.

Where was the woman?

Wanda. That was her name.

It had seem that she had just disappeared; or that's how Charles had explained it to the team.

That Magneto's daughter, the Scarlet Witch, was missing.

Jean sighs, stumbling some more throughout the small town, watching as there seemed to be nobody.

As she stumbles, her right foot hits something.

She doesn't know what; but it feels like a body.

'Is somebody alive?'

She doesn't know.

She looks down, seeing the skeleton.

Oh.

Oh.

They were dead.

She looks around some more, before seeing another body.

It looked as if it had been rotting, but the facial shape was kind of noticeable, if you excluded the wounds all over the body.

She wraps her arms around her body, before lurching over and allowing herself to throw up.

How could Magneto let this happen?

No, no, how could she let this happen?

Her knees buckle to the ground, as tears come down her cheeks.

Fuck, fuck.

"Jean?" A voice behind her. Who's voice?

She turns only her head around, seeing as it's Charles on his wheelchair.

She stands up, brushing off the dirt and blood on her, looking at him. "Professor." She states. "I don't know how many dead. Seems over 10. That's all I know. There's most likely more but I'm not sure."

Charles nods. "Okay." He says. "Okay. The team will be here soon."

Jean nods.

Wanda runs her fingers over the pages.

It hurts to read it.

But why?

"I know you're there, Loki." She states, not even turning around to acknowledge his presence.

He crosses his arms, stepping inside her room to stand by the bookcase. "Strange gave you a book?" He asks, not looking at her as he seems to pull out a book to "read" it.

"Yes." She lets out, before getting up and turning around, staring at him. "What the fuck are you wearing?"

It's fancy; that's what she knows but what is it?

"It's fine Asgardian Leather, thank you very much." Loki replies in a defensive tone. "And what are you even wearing?"

Her eyes darken in defense, but she lets out a fake laugh, walking up to him. "Not fine Asgardian Leather. But," She says in a whisper. She trails her fingers on the material. "if you'd like to find out, you know where to find me."

Her lips quirk up, and she walks out of her bedroom, leaving Loki stunned, blush staining his face instantly.

Fuck, what was she doing to him?

Was this love?

'my daddy's got a gun, my daddy's got a gun, my daddy's got a gun, you better run'

'my daddy's got a gun, my daddy's got a gun, my daddy's got a gun, ga-ga-ga-ga-ga.'