Velvet Elvis - M. Barzal

tw: drinking, curse words, allusions to smut
3,700 words

tw: drinking, curse words, allusions to smut 3,700 words

Mathew was in over his head. He felt like he was drowning in syrup; stuck. And it was the best feeling in the world.

If you were to ask Mat how he was doing, he would tell you that he's on top of the world, because any time he's with you that's what it feels like. Besides Anthony, you're his best friend. His ride or die, his bff, whatever you want to call it that's what you were to him.

Everything but his girlfriend, sadly.

Mat can pinpoint the exact moment he fell in love with you: the summer before he was to leave for New York. Mathew was trying every which way he could think of to get you to come with him, to come live with him. He wouldn't ever admit it, but he was a little scared of moving across the continent all by himself.

"Just relax, Barzy. You're doing big boy things, you've worked so hard for this." You said, sitting across from him on the deck of his family's lake house. The only light came from the bright fire and the moon above, which contoured both of your bodies perfectly.

"I know it's just...intimidating. I don't know anybody there. What if they don't like me?" You cocked your eyebrow, resting your head on the palm of your hand that was propped up by your elbow.

"Mat everyone likes you. They'd be crazy if they didn't like you. Hell, even I like you, and I don't like most people." Mat chuckled, adjusting his position in the wooden chair across from you.

You had propped your feet up on the chair that was diagonal from you and leaned your head back, looking up at the stars. "I don't know what I'm gonna do without you, Barz. Who am I gonna harass?" You joked, which made Mat smile wide.

"You know, you could always come with me." Raising your head up quickly you looked at Mat like he was crazy, which sometimes you wondered if it was actually true. He always had some pretty strange ideas.

"What? No, I just got accepted into-"

"UCLA, I know, I know. I was just seeing if you were paying attention." But he wasn't. He meant what he asked. Mathew would love nothing more but for you to come and live with him in New York. He would give anything to make that happen.

He even went as far as thinking about a trade to the Kings, but he knew that you would have his head on a stick if he did that. So, he opted for the sadder option. Him moving to the Big Apple all alone.

Long after everyone has gone to bed you're still outside with Mat. Now he's moved over to the two-seater bench next to you, leaning his head on your shoulder, listening to you tell a story from a few years back. It's at this moment that Mat realizes that he's in love.

Now he really doesn't want to leave.

How is he supposed to leave you? You've been in his life ever since he can remember. You were a constant in his life. He couldn't ever picture his life without you right down the street, and now he's having to picture it with you across the country.