Happy & Sad - C. Hart

triggers: none
words: 1.1k

Carter was different

Carter was different. And Y/N couldn't figure out why he was different. He carried himself with such confidence that most guys his age didn't.

She also couldn't figure out why she didn't see him or at least hear him for a few days at a time. She didn't understand why he would sometimes walk with a slight limp a few days out of the month. Maybe he's one of those underground boxers, she thought one time.

Carter thought it would be best not to tell her what he does for a living. He wanted to see if Y/N would want to be friends with him because of his personality, and not because he's a professional athlete. He thinks he could do it. He's not the most boring guy out there.

Y/N had invited her neighbor, which was Carter, over for dinner. She promised him the best pasta he would ever eat in his life and control over what movie they watch together. He agreed with a chuckle and a smile that could kill.

She couldn't lie- she got a little distracted when it started to rain. Pouring herself a cup of tea she opened the glass sliding door to her balcony and let the sound and smell of the rain fill her apartment. She knew that if she didn't get started on cooking dinner soon she'd be late, but she figured if she stayed in her spot for just a few minutes longer that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Carter ate just a few minutes past their set time.

A few minutes turned into ten quickly. She scolded herself, quickly finishing her drink and setting the empty mug in the sink. Starting a pot of boiling water she pulled out everything she would need. Carefully setting the pasta into the boiling water she started a timer for eleven minutes, making sure to turn the stove fan on so that steam wouldn't travel up to the ceiling. Setting the table she made sure to pull out her best-looking plates, really wanting to impress her neighbor.

After making the table look nice with a small pot of flowers and a few unscented candles, Y/N is about to get the food prepared when she hears a knock on the door. Panicking just a little she takes one last look in the mirror, making sure she looks presentable for the person on the other side of the door.

"I didn't know if you preferred red or white wine, so I brought both." Carter held a bottle in either hand, giving her a sweet smile. Y/N returned it and invited him into her home by stepping to the side, "I like both, but I think red would go better with dinner."

Carter popped open the bottle of red wine, "I don't have any wine glasses. Will regular ones work for you?" Carter smiled and nodded his head, giggling just a little bit.

Pouring two glasses of wine for her Carter sets them on the table, and he notices that a part of the floor is wet. "You do know that your floor is wet, right?" He mentions, standing behind the small square table.

"Oh, yes sorry about that. I'll clean it up for you," Y/N grabbed a kitchen towel from the drawer and stepped towards the table, wiping up the water with the towel underneath her foot. "I had the doors open earlier. I like the smell and sound of rain, so I had them open while I was making dinner."

"You like the rain?" He asked, pulling out a chair and taking a seat, watching you bring the large bowl of warm pasta over to the table. Y/N nodded her head and smiled, sitting beside him facing the french glass doors, watching the rainfall outside.

"I love the rain." Y/N motioned with her hand for Carter to scoop out some pasta for himself, setting the large spoon in the bowl. He gets himself a good helping of food before putting the spoon back into the bowl. "Do you?" She asked, putting some food on her plate.

Carter shook his head firmly, "not really. I prefer the sunshine." He took a bite of the pasta and closed his eyes, leaning his head back and letting out a satisfied groan.

"Good, isn't it?" Y/N asked with a giggle.

Carter eagerly nodded his head, "You weren't lying when you said you made the best pasta. What's your secret?" Y/N shook her head, taking a bite of food. She didn't have one, which she thought was funny that Carter thought she did. All Y/N made him was pasta from a cardboard box and the sauce came from a jar.

"But for real, why do you like the rain?" He asked, wanting a real answer.

Shrugging her shoulders she looked outside, watching the rain pool into bowls she had set outside earlier in the day. She did that so she could give her pants rainwater, which is better than sink water.

"I really love the smell of rain. It feels like I'm being hugged when I smell the rain. I had my first kiss in the rain, too. He wasn't that good of a kisser but I was happy that it was in the rain. And I love the sound of rain. I even play the sound when I go to sleep." Taking a sip of water she glances over to Carter to see that he's already looking at her, with a slight blush in his cheeks.

"Why don't you like the rain?" She countered, stuffing her face full of pasta, not in a very graceful way. Carter shrugged his shoulders, turning his head a little to look at the falling water outside.

"I think it's cause I'm an outside person. I like to take walks or go for runs a lot, and when it's raining I can't do that. I also like the sun- I know it doesn't look like it. I mean, I can blend into a piece of paper, but I just like the warmth the sun provides. It feels like a hug." Carter turned his head back to you and gave you a small smile, taking another bite of his food.

Y/N noticed how he was almost done with his dinner, while she had barely even made a dent. "I'm guessing you were hungry?" She jokes, finishing off the glass of wine with one last sip before setting it back down onto the table.

"Yeah," he chuckles, "this was really good. Like, so good. I think we're gonna have to make this a weekly thing." Carter said, not really meaning it.

"I can make that happen," she offered, pouring herself some of the wine that Carter had brought over.

"Really?"

She nodded her head, "I don't see why not. And maybe if the weather is proper, we can eat outside."

Carter smiled, letting his head rest on the palm of his hand that was propped up by his elbow on the table. "Yeah, maybe."