ii. the cut

Slater didn't do bad things -- the only illegal things she had ever done were speeding, trespassing on her favorite beach when it was closed at night, and some light underage drinking.

After dropping Maeve off, Slater headed back into town. She passed by the Wreck, heading for the downtown area, where the sheriff's department was. It was a familiar enough building -- it hadn't changed for as long as Slater could remember.

She entered the main office, smiling at the receptionist as she passed. From an outsider, she looked like a kind daughter going to visit her father. On the inside, though, Slater was beginning to panic.

She knocked on the door to her father's office, which was littered with folders, papers and plastic bags containing evidence that had yet to be processed. She noticed a black lighter in one of the bags. The initials "JM" had been hastily carved into its metal exterior with a knife.

Slater glanced down the hallway, which was still empty. Her father was probably out getting coffee or something. She grabbed the bag, slipping it into her backpack before exiting the office. Her heart thumping, she walked back to the front of the building, plastering a wavering smile to her face as she passed the receptionist.

"Vic's not here?" The receptionist asked with a smile.

"Must have just missed him," Slater said, feigning politeness.

"I'll tell him you stopped in, honey," the woman replied.

"Thanks, ma'am," Slater replied. She ignored the urge to race out of the office, and instead walked slowly out of the building, even stopping to get a scoop of candy from the quarter machine that stood in the entryway.

Slater was pleasantly surprised at how well she could act natural. Lying was easy, apparently.

She hopped back in her Subaru and drove away, her hands shaking as she gripped the steering wheel. She pulled out her phone and called back Kiara.

"Hey, Slater," Kiara answered. "Did you get it?"

"I've got it," Slater said, her voice shaky. "Where should I meet you?"

There was some whispering in the background before Kiara answered. "Do you know where John B lives?"

John B lived in the Cut, a place Slater didn't frequent. She didn't have anything against the Cut, or the people in it. Her dad, however, did, and he told her to stay away. So, she did, unless absolutely necessary.

However, Slater Cambry was breaking lots of rules today.

"No, I don't."

"Okay, I'll text you the address. Meet us there. Later, Slater."

Slater chuckled as Kiara hung up the phone. Ever since Kie realized that "Slater" rhymed with "later," that was what she said every time they worked together at the end of their shifts.

She set her phone's navigation system to the address that Kie texted her. It was far into the Cut, right on the water. It looked like a good place to hang low, which Slater would need to do if her parents ever found out what she'd done that night.

She pulled into the gravel driveway and up to the house, which, just like her own home, had seen it's fair share of better days. She parked the Subaru next to the beat up Volkswagen van she saw John B driving around, then headed inside. She knocked on the door, and was frantically pulled inside by John B.

"Did anyone see you? Did anyone follow you?" He asked, peering out behind Slater.

Slater gave him a quizzical look. "Not that I know of," she said, turning towards Kiara. "Should I be worried? What exactly did you get me involved in, Kie?"