xxvi. the apology

Maeve's silent treatment continued for two more days, and when Slater could no longer physically or mentally tolerate her sister's endless loop of shitty music, she forced her way into her sister's bedroom, marched over to her speaker, and turned the music off.

"I was listening to that!" Maeve protested, throwing a pillow at her older sister.

Slater frowned, took the pillow, and threw it promptly back at her.

"You're giving the whole neighborhood hearing loss," Slater said, repeating what Vic had said days earlier. "I'm honestly surprised Dad didn't come up here and throw that thing out the window," she said, gesturing to the speaker.

"He's been busy with work."

"I guess he has."

"What do you want?" Maeve asked.

Slater sat down on the edge of her sister's bed. "I came to apologize."

"It's about time," Maeve snorted.

"Look, I'm sorry I haven't been around as much, okay?"

Maeve nodded and pulled her legs to her chest. "I'm sorry too. I really am glad that you finally have friends. I just ... they're all you seem to care about now."

"That's not true," Slater said. "I -- I'm involved in something, something big, and something good, okay? I can't talk about it, and you cannot say anything to Mom and Dad, okay?"

Maeve looked at her sister, alarmed. "What do you mean? Are you a criminal or something?"

"No," Slater laughed, shaking her head. "I'm kind of involved in a treasure hunt. It's hard to explain, and I can't tell you. It's dangerous."

"Slater! Oh my God, are you okay? Is that where this came from?" Maeve asked, pointing to the bruise on Slater's cheek, which had faded to an ugly green.

"This is unrelated," Slater said, shaking her head. "But please, you can't say a word about this to Mom and Dad. It's a big deal."

"Okay," Maeve said, smirking. "You know, you didn't have to come up with some elaborate story just to avoid hanging out with me."

Slater chuckled and shook her head. "Believe me, this is not the story I'd come up with if I wanted to avoid you." She patted Maeve's leg gently. "I promise we'll have some sister time soon, okay? Ice cream and surfing, like the old days."

Maeve smiled. "Okay. Only if you answer one question for me, though."

Slater laughed again. "What's that?"

"Are you dating JJ?" Maeve asked in a whisper, even though the house was empty, except for the sisters. "Because if you're not, it's really weird and concerning that he sneaks in your window."

Slater sighed and looked down at her hands. "I -- We -- JJ and I -- I don't really know what we are."

"I knew it," Maeve said, smirking. "I called it from the moment we picked him up on the side of the road."

Slater scoffed. "You did not!"

"I did too!"

"Well, it doesn't matter anymore," Slater said. "We got in a fight, so... don't plan on him sneaking in my window anytime soon."

"Of course you got in a fight. Boys are stupid."

"Maeve, don't act like you're an expert on boys," Slater said.