iii. the chateau

Slater woke up in the morning with a light headache, but nothing she couldn't fix with a little water and some fresh air. She was still wedged between Pope and Kiara, who both took up much more room on the floor than either required.

She stumbled to the bathroom, rubbing her eyes. They felt super dry, as she'd slept in her contact lenses. She swished some water around in her mouth and spit it out and splashed some water on her face, which made her feel a lot less disgusting.

A glance at her watch told her it was only seven o'clock, so she headed out to John B's back porch to get some fresh air. Who knew when the rest of the gang would be up?

She noticed that JJ was already out there, and she silently cursed, backing away. However, it was too late, because as she tried to go silently back through the door, it swung closed with a loud thwack and he turned her way.

JJ glanced at her, a frown on his face. "Mornin'."

"Good morning," she replied, staring out at the marsh.

When it was clear that JJ wasn't going to offer anything to start a conversation, Slater wracked her brain for something to say.

"Looks like a good day for surfing," she quipped. It had stormed while they slept, stirring up all sorts of waves in its wake.

JJ glanced at her curiously. "You surf?" His voice dripped with disbelief.

"Every day, if I can," Slater replied. "My sister and I go out all the time. She's a better surfer than I will ever be, and she's only fourteen. Don't tell her that."

"Your sister sounds fun," JJ replied. "Must be quite a relief to your parents, after you."

Slater rolled her eyes. So much for a pleasant conversation. "Do you have anything nice to say?"

"To you?" JJ paused, feigning thought. "Hmm, no."

"In case you've forgotten, I saved your ass last night. If it wasn't for me, you might be waking up in jail this morning," Slater said.

"And thanks for that, I don't want to sound unappreciative. But, that doesn't mean I have to like you," he said.

"Clearly, you don't," Slater said. "If it makes you feel any better, I don't like you, either."

"Good, glad that's settled," JJ said, staring out at the marsh.

Slater rolled her eyes. He was so frustrating. "Well, I should really get home."

"Don't let me stop you," JJ replied.

She groaned and left the porch, marching back towards the living room. John B's bedroom door was still shut, and Kie and Pope were still sound asleep on the floor. She grabbed her keys and backpack, then headed out towards the Subaru.

The air was nice yet that morning — the day's humidity and heat hadn't gotten to it yet. Slater drove back to Figure Eight, hoping no one would recognize her car in the Cut and tell her father about it.

She parked in the driveway and walked up to their house, entering the kitchen just as her family was starting breakfast.

"Hey, honey," Slater's mom, Leanore, greeted her with a cheerful smile. "How was Kiara's?"

"It was fun," she said, making a beeline for her room. She hoped she didn't smell like beer.

"Would you like to join us for breakfast?" Vic asked.

"I gotta shower and stuff, but maybe after," she said, offering a polite smile.

She didn't feel good about lying to her parents, but she knew she could never tell them the truth.